News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'57 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Rear Quarter Around Wheel Opening Molding

Started by Injection, October 11, 2021, 07:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Injection

I'm about to install '57 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Rear Quarter Around Wheel Opening Molding. My Master Parts List has a sideview of the car on page 834 and a reference to Attaching Parts to Group 35.1624-25, which for 57-6267SX do not include anything but "463 7822; 2 or 4; Bolt, top of fin mldg." on page 887 and "469 7700; 8; Clip, fender crown molding" on page 888. May someone give any reference to correct attachment parts, seals? Any picture of them?

I also received Cadillac Fender Skirt Edge Seal from Rubber the Right Way. It fits the fender's edge well but its lenght is not enough to cover the contacting surface in whole lenght.

Any advice?

Roger Zimmermann

I doubt that there is a seal between the molding and body. The seals you got are for fender skirts.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Injection

Yes, according to MPL it seems so. Though it's hard to belive that someone intentionally would mate a stainless steel detail directly to painted steel surface.

When ordering the seals I was relying on RTRW Application Data, which says "1957-64 All Models Except 1958 Series 60 Special".

Sure there has to be something insulating between the surfaces. I guess it could be in the mentioned attaching parts kit then.

Roger Zimmermann

I saw that text too. Suppliers do errors sometimes.
Have a look at each car which has wheel opening moldings: those parts are directly attached to the painted fenders with screws...Cars are not intended to be on the road after 10 years!
If you like, you can use a self-adhesive foil between the body and molding. It will not be better, just for your peace in mind.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dn010

I agree with Roger, all wheel molding and blister trim I've seen have nothing "insulating" between trim and body. Beware that adding things such as rubber strips or other material between may cause unforeseen problems with corrosion/rust because water, dirt, dust etc. will now sit there instead of drop or drip down.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean