News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Thank for the help on my '66 DeVille 10+ year resto-complete

Started by Chuck Swanson, October 11, 2021, 10:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Swanson

Appreciate all the replies/help on my various posts about my my '66 Deville vert over the last 10+ years!  Resto is now complete! Took home an AACA first junior award Saturday.   This was a great father/son project.  My son is 21 now and was a big help on the project.  He now works as a service tech at a Cadillac dealer :) 
Resto thread:
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=116643.msg504636#msg504636

See you in Chicago, '22 GN!

Thanks, Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Chuck,

Congratulations. I knew you'd bring home the trophy; but I know the satisfaction of what you built feels even better. I see from the sky that little has changed at Hershey.  I showed a car there five times and had rain during three of them......I was beginning to take it personally.

Thanks for the shout out. For what ever help I provided , you're quite welcome. It's always fun to talk to fellow enthusiasts.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Holy Cow! What a metamorphosis!
Chuck, seriously, putting the father/son relationship (which I think is fabulous) aside -
Would you now advise people to do their own resto, or simply save their pennies and buy the car 'done'
or nearly done/needing "some" work? Your opinion has real value here. Nice job.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

bctexas

Wow, what a wonderful accomplishment!  Congrats to you and your son!  And thanks for saving a grand old car from the scrap heap.  I truly admire your patience and skill.

Has your son driven it to work yet to show it off to his co-workers?  Wouldn't that be fun!

Happy Motoring!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on October 11, 2021, 12:19:45 PM
Chuck,

Congratulations. I knew you'd bring home the trophy; but I know the satisfaction of what you built feels even better. I see from the sky that little has changed at Hershey.  I showed a car there five times and had rain during three of them......I was beginning to take it personally.

Thanks for the shout out. For what ever help I provided , you're quite welcome. It's always fun to talk to fellow enthusiasts.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph!  Only a two minute drizzle, otherwise in the 60s 70s, so worked out ok, especially sine I had to do some final installs in back of hotel parking lot Friday :)
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on October 11, 2021, 12:27:17 PM
Holy Cow! What a metamorphosis!
Chuck, seriously, putting the father/son relationship (which I think is fabulous) aside -
Would you now advise people to do their own resto, or simply save their pennies and buy the car 'done'
or nearly done/needing "some" work? Your opinion has real value here. Nice job.

Thank you!  It was a lot of work.  In hindsight, I would have started with a better car as this one needed some body work.  It was *only* going to be a driver.  However, when finishing the welding the top caught on fire (tried to save the top as it was on good condition, so dash and top were left on car).  Not much  else was on the car, but was insured.  Decided to strip the rest of car down to frame, then soda  and sand blast everything.  Only top went on fire, so had a spare top.    Dash had some smoke damage, not burned so disassembled and saved the good parts and restored. 
Also in hindsight I would have bought parts cars earlier in resto, vs 3 years after. Much easier to get many parts at once, along with using as reference when installing stuff.  As an example, installing new Pilkington glass three weeks ago, one side window was defective.  Had a beautiful piece on a parts car, so grabbed and installed. 

Since I did the majority of work with my son, it would mainly be the labor costs, which are around 2500 hours guestimate between my son and I.  Since it was a hobby, not including that "cost", so mainly for me was parts.  However, I traded/sold a ton of parts from my parts cars, so my cost of parts probably less than most.  I also bought approx. 2 40' containers of parts, and have sold many parts as my parts loads included other years I don't need.

Bottom line, if you do most of the work yourself and enjoy, yes.  If you are going to farm out most of the work, unless some family heirloom or something, better to buy one mostly done (which I have done too with my '65 Eldo, 96, 97, etc..) 

Yes, the father/son project/bonding...priceless  :)  Thanks, Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: bctexas on October 11, 2021, 01:21:09 PM
Wow, what a wonderful accomplishment!  Congrats to you and your son!  And thanks for saving a grand old car from the scrap heap.  I truly admire your patience and skill.

Has your son driven it to work yet to show it off to his co-workers?  Wouldn't that be fun!

Happy Motoring!

Thanks.  Yes, decided to save as I could have scrapped after the fire (see above), but glad saved it.   No not yet, as I need to buy a $2 flasher as blinker was not working on it's first 2 mile maiden drive after completion...or maybe blinker fluid :)  (Many test drives before assembly, but didn't catch it) Thanks!  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T