News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 CDV fuel tank leak only when 100% full

Started by TomJudd, October 13, 2021, 09:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomJudd

When topping off my new to me 58 Fuel leaked out  at gas station. Never any leaks less than full.Took home and parked ,couldnt access to see leak origin. Total of couple cups leaked out, then fine. Is there a vent tube on top of tank. I know the 59 s had a u shaped vent tube on forward side of tank. Note ...the tank is shiny so probably a repro.Thoughts?  Possible leak at sender unit?? Otherwise next step is put  on lift , fill to top, and observe

dn010

The 57 has a vent so 58 should as well. I'd check the sender to make sure it has a gasket installed and it is screwed down tightly.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Daryl Chesterman

Check the hose clamps on the section of hose that connects the filler spout with the gas tank—maybe they are loose, or the hose itself is defective.

Daryl Chesterman

TomJudd

Finally repaired. Once on lift very obvious. 1/2 OD vent tube was fossilized, loose at tank end, couldnt be tightened w clamp. I was thinking this was only a "while fueling" vent. Its the only vent !! As always appreciate input.

Big Fins

I have a vent like this on the '69 I just bought, so it's been carried forward in the years.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille