News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Any idea what emblem on a 1957 commcercial chassis front fender?

Started by Cymz@sbcglobal.net, September 16, 2021, 07:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cymz@sbcglobal.net

I have a 1957 cadillac commercial chassis motor home and on each front fender the emblem is missing.  I do have the Cadillac script at the front fender above the line but have no clue what should be where the two holes in the picture should have

Lexi

Before your car's reincarnation as a motor home, what type of commercial vehicle was it, i.e. Hearse, Ambulance, Flower Car, Limo, other? Also what does the data plate say? What your car originally was and who did the commercial body work may dictate what was originally there. Clay/Lexi

Cymz@sbcglobal.net

was a rear loader  that's what the conversion company said--they had no other info

Mike Baillargeon #15848

My guesses are....

maybe the funeral homes name plate was there...or could the funeral home have had some kind of flag holder there....

or how about a wide set of mirrors for the motor-home body....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Tom Boehm

To expand on what previous posters have said, your car left the Cadillac factory as a commercial chassis. In 1957 a body builder installed a hearse or ambulance body on it. Well known ones were Superior, S&S, Eureka, Miller, and Meteor. At a later date someone installed the camper. A nameplate of the hearse/ambulance builder is what most likely was on the fender.

The original invoice will tell which hearse/ambulance builder Cadillac sold the chassis to. Information on how to obtain this document is available on the CLC website. Click on "Technical" then on "Vehicle Authentication"

Did the bodybuilder install an id tag on the firewall or the door jamb?

Contact the Professional Car Society for details about the era correct fender logo and where to find them. Ebay is a good source for this rare stuff.

Look on google for pictures of 1950's hearses and ambulances with the bodybuilder logo still there.

Lexi

Some coach builders used their own ID tags. Can't recall if this would take the place of the GM cowl tag, or was something extra to further identify the vehicle. Here is an example of a Miller tag that I got from a 1956 3 way Hearse years ago. It bears the Miller name and a date from late February 1956. Lots of detail here, and probably one of the last "Miller" bodied cars before their amalgamation with Wayne/Meteor in March 1956, (hence the subsequent name "Miller-Meteor"). That year they were the top producing Cadillac professional car builder, numerically. Check your vehicle for one of these, or for traces of the 4 screws removal. Think this one came off of the firewall but after 45 years my memory may be off a little. If you can determine who the coachbuilder was, then you may be able to determine what may have been there originally. Clay/Lexi