News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'75 Eldorado Steering Wheel Wrap

Started by benji808, October 15, 2021, 02:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji808

Steering wheel circle is a bit rough - cracked wood trim and it's coming apart at a seam or two. I've looked into sending it off for restoration, but those are pretty expensive ($1500+) and would require me to get a new wheel or not drive for a while, which I don't want to do right now.

I'm interested in wrapping the wheel, so that it looks a little nicer than the cheap "throw-over" I have now. Does anyone have experience with this? I've seen kits like the one I've linked below that seem simple enough...any reason something like this wouldn't work? The steering wheel is a bit thinner than modern so I may need to do some searching to find a good size.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Leather-Steering-Needles-Thread/dp/B07YYJ6JHC/ref=asc_df_B07L6Z6JTK/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343272646452&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1098555041071874127&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022904&hvtargid=pla-781372347262&ref=&adgrpid=74758335971&th=1

TJ Hopland

Handlebar tape for a bicycle is also an option.   Comes in a lot of different colors and styles and isn't that expensive.  Its what is used on the 'drop bar' style bikes back in the old days called a racing bike or a 10 speed.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Wheelskins are an excellent leather steering wheel wrap, used one on my '73 Caribou (deVille).

https://wheelskins.com/
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

benji808

Closing this out. I ordered the below leather wrap from Amazon, size L1, which seemed right based on my measurements. Looked like a quality, well-reviewed, and reasonably priced option. Installed today...took about 2 hours, but was a fairly simple process. I removed the horn pad while sewing it in, which allowed me to tuck in the wrap, creating a nice seamless effect when I screwed the pad back in.

Maybe someday I'll find a NOS or invest in a rebuild, but for now I am pleased with the result. (I may need to polish up the horn pad so it looks similarly sharp!)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0989GF6SS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

TJ Hopland

If you are not concerned about it being 'correct' the wheels interchange I think from 71 or 72 till airbags started to become common 90-93ish.   Many perhaps all the wheels in the 80's were factory leather wrapped so no cracking issues like the 70's had.   A while ago I just casually keep an eye out on ebay and found a decent condition 80's one in my color for under $100 shipped.   There was usually a good selection of wheels it just took a while for my color to come up.   I have not looked recently so maybe there are more or fewer to choose from now?  or the prices have gone nuts like everything else. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason