News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The last Cadillac with a manual transmission?

Started by James Landi, October 19, 2021, 10:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

An over the top article about the Cadillac "Black Wing" series, raised a question in my mind.  I believe the last manual transmission in a Cadillac was built just after WWII, and now, approximately 75 years later, the last manual transmission appears as an option in this latest model...   The NYTimes reviewer LOVES these Cadillacs--- the first part of the article and the conclusion says it all--- here's the link.   https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/01/business/last-manual-transmission-cars.html?campaign_id=13&emc=edit_ws_20211019&instance_id=43164&nl=wheels&regi_id=46763028&segment_id=72067&te=1&user_id=b15221b017730abc2e147a324d98f3f0

Piening2150

2004-2007 1st gen CTS-Vs were all manual. (I had an '05)

2009-2014 2nd gen CTS-Vs (coupe, sedan, and wagon) were available with a manual too. (I almost bought an '11 6MT sedan a few years ago)

There were a few 2015 'special/final edition' CTS-V coupes made which were also available with a manual.

I've seen the new Blackwing in person and wasn't terribly impressed with the look, but if I had the money I'd still buy one (with a manual of course) in a heartbeat!
1961 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 window

Big Apple Caddy

In addition to cars mentioned above, the 1980s Cadillac Cimarron was also available with a manual transmission.

Piening2150

I thought the Cimarron might have too, but I was too tired to Google last night, lol.

I also forgot about the ATS ('13-'19) & ATS-V ('16-'19)
1961 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 window

MaR

Yep, the manual in the Cimarron was offered to try and attract BMW and Audi buyers.

Jay Friedman

Following the introduction of Hydramatic in 1941, it remained an extra-cost option and manual transmissions were standard equipment.  Nonetheless, the data I have seen show the percentage of Cadillacs with a manual transmission declined until 1949, the last year manual transmission were standard on all Cadillac models, when only 3.5% of Cadillacs were sold with a manual transmission.  In 1953, the last post-war year a manual transmission was available, it was standard equipment on hearses/ambulances and Series 75 limousines, while Hydramatic was standard equipment on all other passenger car models.  According to data gathered by the late Matt Larsen, in '53 only 19 passenger cars and about 1,000 hearses and ambulances had a manual transmission.  Beginning in '54 Hydramatic was standard equipment on all Cadillacs until the introduction of the Cimarron and the CTS. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."