News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1954 Cadillac oil pressure question

Started by bigbry13, October 28, 2021, 04:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbry13

Hi all
Wondering out of curiosity what normal oil pressure should be for a 1954 Cadillac 331?
Thanks
Bryan
Bryan

James Landi

These older V8's did not develop much pressure, thus the "idiot" light.  At hot idle, it's not uncommon for a hot  engine in gear and at idle with lots of miles to have less than 10 pounds of pressure. The light will begin to glow with less than 7 pounds.  I believe there's general agreement that 30 pounds is normal for  hot engines  running above 1,500 rpms. Adding a gauge at the bottom of the dash will only create high anxiety.  I have found that using High Detergent single weight 30 during the summer months lessens one's anxiety, and, in fact, on some much newer Cadillacs produced during the 1980's, GM recommended a single weight 30 HD during hot summer months.   Hope this helps James

Poncholover

Another generally accepted guideline is 10 PSI per 1000RPM.
Flattie Caddy

bigbry13

I'm getting about 25-30 on cold startup and normal idle and goes up to about 35 when I'm driving so I guess I'm on the Money for where I should be. The engine was rebuilt.
Bryan

Jay Friedman

'49 331s are expected to have 30-35 psi oil pressure at 30 mph and above.  '49s like mine and '50 Cadillacs have oil pressure gauges so this can be seen.  Warning lights were introduced in '51. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

64\/54Cadillacking

Similar to my 64, healthy oil pressure ratings hover around 25-30 psi. Even 20 psi is "safe", but not optimal.

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

James Landi

We've all read narratives on this forum about deep concerns regarding low oil pressure at idle and other similar concerns about care of decades old LaSalles and Cadillac.  Would be a substantive  and important service to have a permanent "go to" FAQ section that addresses common concerns among members and guests who need to hear from experienced owners.  Happy day, James

By the way, I've become skeptical about modern cars with gauges that appear to in the "immovable middle" of the gauge range.  I owned a Jaguar S type that was clearly overheating, but the gauge remained in the middle as if nothing was happening.  THe only clue was that the engine was in a soft fail mode, running on reduced power output.

Jay Friedman

In my experience the best temp gauges are the mechanical ones you can buy at most auto parts stores.  Not having anything to do with the car's electrical system they provide accurate readings.  They have a bulb at one end that goes into the hole in the block or head and the kit contains screw in adapters for various threads. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."