News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1985 Eldorado exhaust system

Started by Spencer67E!, October 29, 2021, 11:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spencer67E!

Hello To All:
I have a 1985 Eldorado with 22,000 miles.
It's a pristine car and I really treasure it.
I don't run it as much as I should and when I put it on the lift the other day I became aware that the exhaust is shot; rusted through in a couple of areas.
I should have realized that because it's been a bit louder than the way it should normally sound.
I am hoping someone could suggest the best replacement option in order to keep it as original as possible. (aluminum-steel, stainless, etc.)
Thanks so much for any help!
Larry
1967 Eldorado
1985 Eldorado
1989 Eldorado
2013 CTS Coupe
2013 SRX
1966 Mustang
2005 Boxter

79 Eldorado

Larry,
Years ago I replaced the original exhaust on a 1984 Toronado which was made at the same assembly plant and the original was Aluminized-steel. In my case it failed in the weld area.

What do you mean keep it as original as possible? You may want to clarify if you meant look, material or sound or all of the above. There are custom exhaust places which I'm sure could duplicate most of the pipe routing in stainless. Even if you use something like 410 stainless it should last a lot longer than the original. I don't recall if 1985 still had the pancake catalysts but if that needs replacing then new will likely not look like original. The pipes closest to the engine are likely fine as well because closer means they see a lot of heat and tend to be damaged less from corrosion. I have one E-Body with 410 stainless but they did adapt the original down-pipes. My 1979 still has the original pancake catalyst and that style does get very hot externally. My exhaust is fine but I've thought about replacing the cat with a newer version.

Good luck,
Scott

Spencer67E!

Thank you Scott.
With regard to keeping it original, yes to all of it.
I would like to do it the right way, with the best material for the application.
Not sure about the catalyst; the components failing do seem to be mostly in the rear half of the car.
Im in the West Palm area so I will look for a custom exhaust shop - I never would have thought of that!
Thanks again, I appreciate your input.
Larry
1967 Eldorado
1985 Eldorado
1989 Eldorado
2013 CTS Coupe
2013 SRX
1966 Mustang
2005 Boxter