News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

pre-detonation for '40 LaSalle

Started by Warner15, October 31, 2021, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warner15

My '40 LaSalle developed a knock (pre-detonation) in September.  I've added lead substitute to the gas and mixed about 30% premium gas, but have not cured the problem.  I drove the car for 9 years without this problem.  I have used lead substitute often in the past, but not every tank.
I've run out of things to try.

wheikkila

My first thought is a issue with the distributor. I would check the points plate. They have three balls that allow the plate to rotate. It could be it is staying in the full advanced position. or more. Next check the timing it may have jumped. Because these engines are very low compression. You should be able to run low octane fuel without issues.   
              Thanks Wayne

James Landi

Agree with Wayne--- also, you should be able to move the rotor (in the distributor) by hand-- perhaps 1/2 an inch and it should SPRING back...if it;s stuck or won't spring back, there's a problem.  ALso, check the timing with a timing light. (DO these cars have vacuum advances???)  Something is causing the timing to be off, and it's apparently not the gasoline mix.  Hope this helps to generate more comments.  James

wheikkila

The car should have a vacuum advance. If they go bad normally they don't advance the timing. A trick to use your timing light is to bring a 12 volt battery close to operate your timing light. Please be sure to let us know what you find.
                   Thanks Wayne