News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Body Side Moulding

Started by Big Fins, November 07, 2021, 03:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Fins

Would anyone know why the 1969 Fleetwood Sixty Special and the Fleetwood Brougham be the only models not to have factory body side moulding? The '70 did throughout the line as did the '69, even the Series 75 had it.

It seems to be a lot of empty space without it. Adding it now would mean a lot of work and just finding the correct sections would be a challenge of it's own.

Just curious if there was a reasoning behind the deletion. It's not even offered as an option.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Eldorado models didn't have center body side moldings from 1959-1966.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

D.Smith

It was a Fleetwood styling theme.   The smooth sides and unique lower body trim date back to 1960.

There was a side molding installation kit available at the dealer for those buyers worried about door dings.
Rare to see one with the kit installed.  It will be impossible to find a kit or a parts car with it today.

Highwayman68

My 68 Fleetwood had the body side molding on it when I got it in 1980, everyone kept telling me it didn't belong on there so when I had the car repainted I had them fill in the holes and to not put them back on. Then I found out that those were a dealer installed item and now I wish I had them put back on. Mine had a black rubber insert along the middle of the molding.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Barry M Wheeler #2189

It's much, much classier "without," so get used to parking "off Government Property." (Waayyyy out there.)  My son still does this with his wife's Mazda and his Honda.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Big Fins

Thanks all. I understand the smooth sides, but it just looks like it 'needs' something there to dress it up. I look at the pictures of Laurie's car and it just seems to look completed with the moulding.

As for parking in the 'out 40', I always do with anything that I own and drive and generally use two spots. As long as I can walk, I'll do it.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

I was re-reading the Factory notes on the introduction of the '72 Cadillacs and this piece of information is interesting. "News from Cadillac", "FOR RELEASE P.M.'S of SEPTEMBER 1, 1971   THE 1`972 CADILLAC"

".... A bright body molding gives a fine accent to the long side view and adds paint protection in parking lot situations......"

Could it be that these "Moldings" were fitted to vehicles that Cadillac thought would be spending their time in parking lot situations, as against chauffer-driven vehicles which one would never see in a car park?

Bruce.  >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadillac Fleetwood

Bruce,
Bright stainless  body-side mouldings were standard on all of the Calais, DeVille, and Fleetwood Brougham for both 1971 and 1972.  They were not "optional" for only a special few; they all had it.  Bright stainless with no insert.

Mark,
There was no accessory moulding kit for 1968, as there was for 1969.  If your '68 Fleetwood had body-side mouldings with a black vinyl insert, then they were from 1970.  A dealesship body shop could have installed them easily.  Here's the tip-off:  if all of the fasteners passed thrugh holes that were drilled into the body panels, they were dealer-installed.  If the fenders had holes, the doors had a hole at each extremety, and welded-on studs in the middle, onto which plastic clips were fastened, it was factory.  If the long pieces were rivited, with separate chrome ends screwed in, it was generic body-side moulding available from J.C.Whitney and installed by any body shop, and even Sears auto stores.

John:
Cadillac had a dealer-installed accessory body side moulding kit in 1969 for Fleetwoods.  It was entirely of stainless steel. There is a part number listed for the kit, and a price, in the 1969 Cadillac data book.  I'll look it up for you and post once I have a chance to look it up. Unlike those in 1970, where they became standard, there was no vinyl insert.  The vinyl insert in 1970 matched the vinyl roof color. On cars without vinyl roofs, the insert was black.  Laurie's car has the standard factory mouldings.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hey Fins, my replacement rear left door is a 69. It still has the stainless trim on it and its in good
shape. It obviously has to come off for my car. If you want it, its yours.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Big Fins

But your car has the trim on both sides. If you are replacing the door, won't you need to keep it on there? Even so, I would still need 7 more sections!  :P  But your thought is appreciated.

What sparked all of this is, I have a box of stick on bright S/S looking plastic molding that's been on the shelf for years. I taped it to the car just to see what it would look like. Cheesy would be a good description as opposed to the fine looking factory pieces that are cut and beveled just right for the car. I took it off and put it back in the box. It's more fitting for a 'pick your brand', than Cadillac.

I'd much rather have a right side mirror! My neck doesn't turn like it did 10 years ago.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Big Fins on November 08, 2021, 04:17:49 AM
But your car has the trim on both sides. If you are replacing the door, won't you need to keep it on there? Even so, I would still need 7 more sections!  :P  But your thought is appreciated.

What sparked all of this is, I have a box of stick on bright S/S looking plastic molding that's been on the shelf for years. I taped it to the car just to see what it would look like. Cheesy would be a good description as opposed to the fine looking factory pieces that are cut and beveled just right for the car. I took it off and put it back in the box. It's more fitting for a 'pick your brand', than Cadillac.

I'd much rather have a right side mirror! My neck doesn't turn like it did 10 years ago.

The 69 and 70 Fleetwood door trims are different as Charles said above. 69 is pure stainless, 70 has a vinyl insert that matches the roof color and is physically different in design as well. And at least you'd have one piece of an "unobtanium" part. Up to you Fins.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all