News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

LED headlights compatible with fiber optic indicators?

Started by JAK77DeVille, November 07, 2021, 05:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAK77DeVille

Hello, I have a 77 DeVille. Has anyone found LED replacement headlights compatible with the fiber optic indicator cables?  I really do not want to lose that feature.
Thanks,
Jeremy

76eldo

There's a nub on the back of the headlight bulbs. A rubber cap slips over the nub and the fiber optic line slips into the back of it. The light is picked up by the fiber optic cable that runs into the fender mounted housing.
It's doubtful that a more modern bulb will have this nub on the back.
If you find something please post it back here.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

I got over that problem when I converted my lights to Halogens by relocating the Fibre Optic into a hole that I carefully drilled into the new light base.

By placing the end not in direct line of sight to the filament, it doesn't send an over-powering amount of illumination to the other end.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

The only way that you will get the fiber optics to work with LED is drilling a hole in the housing and fabricating the optic line into that housing. It will depend on if you are using a single LED bulb or the multi LED bulbs or even the halo light fixtures. Breaching the housing will allow moisture to enter it and possibly ruin the LED itself or the driver.

Incandescent and halogen are pretty close to the same. I was able to use that little black nub and squeeze it into the wiring harness plug and even fabricated on piece out of vacuum line for missing one on my '76.

LED's are a lot easier on the light switch. Halogens will need/should have a relay for each bulb so you won't overheat the headlight switch.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille