News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Very Strange Problem

Started by Jon S, November 07, 2021, 05:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

I took the 1958 out for a ride today and it performed perfectly to the point you cannot even feel the engine idling.   I parked the car for a few minutes and picked my son up for a ride and it continued to perform perfectly.   We returned and I turned it off and left it for about an hour before I restarted it for my trip home.   About a half a mile from his house it stalled at a red light but re-started and I didn't think too much about it although it's never stalled before.

From that restart on it stalled at every red light and was shaking very roughly before it stalled.   I pulled over and set the idle screw up and also turned the air horn out a turn and a half to keep the idle higher.   I limped home by giving it gas and brake at the same time coming to a stop.  At home I checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing and also removed the idle air screws and squirted Gumout in both passageways and reinstalled the screws.  I started it in Park and it ran smoothly for about three minutes with the choke wide-open and then started shaking and eventually died.

If I throttle the gas it will keep running but if I let go of the accelerator linkage it shakes and dies Like it is starving for gasoline or a vacuum leak. Fuel filter is clear and if I rev the engine it takes the gas fine.

I'm thinking there may be something in the carburetor from the gasoline causing a problem but then why would it run for five minutes before it starts shaking with the choke wide open the whole time?   Before I pull the carburetor apart, I am looking for some advice.

Any ideas?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jon
First things I would check would be the vacuum advance and the timing/dwell.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Clewisiii

I had this same issue with a car.  It had somehow skipped timing. All the way home it was gas and brake on each light. Then it bent all the valves on one side and seized.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Jon S

Vacuum advance is working fine and timing is fine as well as Dwell.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

35-709

Needle sticking shut in it's seat not allowing fuel to enter the float chamber(s)?  When it happens, tap the side of the carb  with a screw driver handle or small plastic headed hammer and see if that helps.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jon S

What I did notice of interest is that when it stalls there is a flume of white smoke in the primary side of the carburetor which I'm assuming is gas vapor but I've never seen that before. Sounds like too much gas/flooding?
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

signart

I would start it and let it run, with breather off. Have your flashlight handy, as soon as it dies, peer down the carb and work the throttle. You need to determine if there is fuel in the bowl and getting a good stream before taking things apart and making adjustments.
Art D. Woody

35-709

Quote from: Jon S on November 07, 2021, 06:43:49 PM
What I did notice of interest is that when it stalls there is a flume of white smoke in the primary side of the carburetor which I'm assuming is gas vapor but I've never seen that before. Sounds like too much gas/flooding?

Could be, I was following your first thought that it was starving for fuel.  Could still be the needle and seat, but in this case the needle would not be sealing and allowing too much fuel in.  Could also be the floats sticking, again a light tap on the carburetor's side should produce some sort of better results if the floats are sticking.

cadillactim

Sounds like too much fuel or too much air throwing off the fuel/air mixture. Does a higher RPM keep the engine running smoothly? If so check for too much fuel. Maybe the needle is not seating allowing fuel to continue to enter the carb. With it running rough place cup your hand gently place it over the carb. If the engine smooths out you likely have a vacuum leak.

Tim
Tim Groves

bcroe

Stuff a Wide Band OX sensor in the exhaust and instantly learn
if it is running lean.  Cheap enough in modern times, I have these
permanently installed 2 cars.  Also a fuel pressure gauge.

good luck, Bruce Roe

Jon S

Quote from: cadillactim on November 07, 2021, 08:27:06 PM
Sounds like too much fuel or too much air throwing off the fuel/air mixture. Does a higher RPM keep the engine running smoothly? If so check for too much fuel. Maybe the needle is not seating allowing fuel to continue to enter the carb. With it running rough place cup your hand gently place it over the carb. If the engine smooths out you likely have a vacuum leak.

Tim

I'm beginning to think it's a stuck/binding float.  While running, closing choke slightly slows engine down and makes it want to stall, so that should rule out vacuum leak. Will check the floats and needle/seat tomorrow
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Roger Zimmermann

Interesting issue. How can a device perform perfectly for some time and suddenly not? I'm wondering what you will find. I doubt that the timing can change during a drive (or after the drive with your son), but something in the carb can be wrong for whatever reason.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

James Landi

Yes, yes, if the float is getting stuck, it may well be doing so on "the way up and on the way down"  thus both starving and flooding the engine... same problem could be much more arcane-- at the needle valve where a small "hairlike" piece of metal is lodged in the seat.  I've had that happen as a consequence of  checking the final filter screen on that fragile potmetal carburetor body that mates with the brass screen retainer.  In my case, the piece of metal was a tiny "eye lash" of metal wedged in the needle valve seat.  Hope this helps, James

fishnjim

Mileage?
I'd check the fuel pump and it's push rod.   They're notorious and will stick. 
I eventually changed to electric FP when I could not get new mechanical ones to last or work.   Same thing, wouldn't idle, stall out at the lights - before and after rebuild.   I had three different carb set-ups and rebuilt/dyno tested, so it's probably not the carb as it seems to be responding with screw adjustments.
I agree with Bruce, monitoring the exhaust is a good way to tell if things are functioning and to adjust the carb.   
And I keep gauges; fuel P, vacuum, voltage, and tach on these era cars.  Helps diagnose quicker.   "onboard diagnostics" of the day...
If it stalls out and "puffs" back through the carb, that's "normal", you're seeing unburnt fuel mix in the manifold being pushed out by piston through an open intake valve.  aka coughing.

Jon S

Well I took the carburetor apart and found nothing wrong but changed the needle and seat and accelerator pump and now it runs and seems fine. Go figure.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

35-709

:)  I figure needle and seat, no surprise.

Big Fins

When I read the original post, that is what I thought too, but then others were trying to get you to rebuild the entire engine, so I gave up on the thread.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Lexi

Quote from: Jon S on November 08, 2021, 07:44:07 PM
Well I took the carburetor apart and found nothing wrong but changed the needle and seat and accelerator pump and now it runs seems fine. Go figure.

Well done Jon! Clay/Lexi

walt chomosh #23510

Jon,
  I had the exact same issue with my 55! In my case, the rear throttle shaft had wear which led me to installing a shaft bushing. (I sent the carb to daytona and had it back the same week!) An interesting point was that my car stalled at a stop sign which resulted in my bring it home and checking EVERYTHING (almost), only to find NOTHING. All was well until approx 2-3 years later it did the same thing at the same stop sign! (this is a car thats drive often!)  This time I looked at the throttle shafts and noted the secondary had "play". That's what led me to the pros and I was very pleased with their work.....walt...tulsa,ok