News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Movie goof

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, November 07, 2021, 10:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

This is not too interesting, as the car was in a very long shot... The movie is "Across the Pacific" with Bogie and his co-star from the Maltese Falcon, Mary Astor. The movie is set just before WWII and the car is a 1941-49 Series 75. It is post war as you could definitely see the stainless bar on the bottom of the skirts. The shot is within the first few minutes of the movie.

Last night, we watched two Blondie movies on TCM. Both had shots of 1930-1940s cars, including a 1941 Cadillac "police" car, a 1941 Packard station wagon, a 1938 Ford phaeton and a 1937 Buick phaeton. The Ford was driven by a very young Glenn Ford.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Barry, I hate to start an internet argument, but "Across the Pacific" was made in 1942. A post war car could only have made it in by use of a time machine.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Alan, I said the movie was SET before the war... As was "A Call To Spy" which we watched last night set in the early days of WWII.  They tried to pass off a 1936 DeSoto Airflow as a French car.

This was a 2020 movie and portrayed true events. I think it was on Showtime. (They also used a lot of Model A Fords in the first few London scenes.) The movie is well worth watching and it makes you wonder how they could find women and men to go into an occupied country and set up resistance organizations. 
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Big Fins

They also count on people just wanting to be entertained. It's the videophiles that ruin it.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Jay Friedman

I just watched Ma Rainey's Black Bottom with Viola Davis and Chadwick Bozeman.  It's stated in the film that the action takes place in July 1927 and  Ma Rainey's (Davis') car is a Model A Ford.  Trouble is Model A's were not introduced till November or December of 1927. 

Most films of that era are full of Model As.  Reason must be that there are so many of them still in existence compared to Chevs and other makes. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Speaking of movies and movie stars....here's a letter from Edward G. Robinson's people adjusting some work contract.....

Paragraph 3 lays out what kind of car (Cadillac) with chauffeur is to be available to Mr Robinson.....no older than 1954....

Based on the letter date he could have demanded a 1956....

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/116502590_edward-g-robinson-document-signed?from=alert&utm_source=SavedAlert&utm_campaign=SearchAlert_20200423_A&utm_medium=email&utm_content=item

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

dochawk

Quote from: Jay Friedman on November 08, 2021, 06:47:41 PM
Most films of that era are full of Model As.  Reason must be that there are so many of them still in existence compared to Chevs and other makes.

I remember our late member Carl Fielding telling me that if you wanted to go on a long road trip in our of 20s vintage, your choices were Ford and Cadillac.

Ford, because there were so many left, and so many clubs, that you could repair it if/when it broke down.

And Cadillac, because the engineering was enough better than the rest of the period that it wouldn't break down . . .

He was in Las Vegas, having driven down from the northwest in his '27.

I forget what movie we were watching a few weeks ago, set fairly early in the 20th century, but it did strike me that there were an awful lot of Fords and other american cars in London, including a Buick
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)