News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Another day at the gas station

Started by Lexi, November 08, 2021, 04:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexi

As discussed in previous threads by myself and others, sometimes the best car shows are at the local gas station. I went to fill up with Ethanol free Shell V-Power, for perhaps the last tank of the season. Got a thumbs up from a muscle car owner who was doing the same. Another guy in a minivan had to get some shots of Lexi, who I eventually offered that he sit behind the wheel for a picture, (which he accepted). As he was leaving the owner of the station introduced himself, loved the car and asked for a photo op as well. He also accepted my offer to sit inside and using his cell phone I snapped a shot of him behind the wheel. The minivan driver came back and enquired about buying my car. Following a brief chat he left me his card asking me to call should I ever decide to sell. The chain owner of 15 Shell stations offered me a complimentary car wash but I said that I never wash my car and the brushes probably are not good on the finish, to which he agreed and said it was for my daily driver! Another customer yelled out "Nice car" and added the old stand by, "They don't make them like they used to". I then drove the car home, but stopped off at the coffee shop in my daily driver to which the owner "comped" my buddy & I free coffee. He then wanted to know how my recent repairs went on Lexi, so I gave him an update. Earlier this afternoon a courier service driver pulled over to more closely examine Lexi. Some days I drive around and it is like the car is invisible, then there are days like today. And how was your day? Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Well, I've got lots of bugs that admire mine as it sits dismantled underneath a tarp. One day maybe, I'll eventually get it done, and they will become little specs of splatter on the front end. Until then, I'll just have to settle for the pictures and stories from the rest of you guys here.
Glad your cruise went well today and you got lots of thumbs up. You've definitely got a beautiful car. Enjoy her while the weather permits.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

CadillacFanBob

Frankfort, Illinois

chrisntam

Quote from: lexi on November 08, 2021, 04:21:57 PM
I went to fill up . . .

For those of us that don't know, what car was so fetching?

And it's ok if you put it in your signature like as I and some others have.   8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

60eldo

Jon. Klu

Cadman-iac

Actually Lexi is Clay's 56 Limousine, which is in beautiful shape, and I believe mostly original except for an engine and transmission overhaul.
A vehicle that you don't see very often.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

stushug

I was at Harbor Freight today and was questioned by three of the employees about my 70 SDV. They all loved it, by the way!

Big Fins

The kids on my street are always stopping on their bikes to look at my cars. "It's sooo big!"

Their parents have Honda's and Toyota's. ::)
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Lexi

Quote from: Big Fins on November 08, 2021, 10:38:22 PM
The kids on my street are always stopping on their bikes to look at my cars. "It's sooo big!"

Their parents have Honda's and Toyota's. ::)

That is akin to the comment I hear most, "Look at the size of it", and as Big Fins said, "It's sooo big", is also common. One day pulling into a car show a young woman who was staring at the car while I was slowly searching for a parking spot, exclaimed loudly "Where is he gonna park it"? I replied, "In two time zones, simultaneously"! Clay/Lexi

64\/54Cadillacking

That's sweet Clay!

Actually about 2 weeks ago I took my 64 for a drive and it needed a wash so I stopped by my DIY car wash.

As I pulled out of the stall to dry it and polish the chrome, an older lady in her 60's was in a 90's Mustang next to me was asking about my 64 and how much she liked the car. She told me a story that when she was young, her father owned a 62 Olds star fire and how much he loved that car. My 64 reminded her of dad in a way and she became emotional after talking to me about him, so it was a pleasure speaking with her and that the Caddy made her day.

At the same time I had a couple other guys pull up to me and yell out of the window, "Nice ride!" , and "I bet you get a lot hot girls in that boat". 8) I said to him "I sure do" with a smile although I'm not single anymore unfortunately lol.  ;D

I can't wait for the day when I can take the 54 out for cruising. The car is drivable but still need to get the transmission inspected and probably some new tires. Hopefully by next year the car will be ready. 8)

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

David Greenburg

Seems like my experience is much like Clay's. Some days it seems like the whole world is oblivious; other days everyone wants to stop and tell stories, take pics etc. On a number of occasions I've wound up spending 20 minutes or more in parking lots trading stories and answering questions with a continuing series of onlookers.  If there are kids present, I'll usually offer them a chance to have a picture taken behind the wheel of a "space ship." 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

6Fleetwood6

On Sunday I  cruised to an event about 45 mins away.  I love the smiles it puts on peoples faces as the pull up beside me with giant thumbs in the air!  You can see as the smile spreads across their face that a memory or a time or a person was remembered.  When that happens, my job is done.  :)

Not smiling at $4.06 per gallon I paid.  :o
Current
1966 Fleetwood Brougham
Past
1999 Deville Concours
2006 STS4

71 Fleetwood

(I posted on a different thread about my Sunday drive).  I'm enjoying the times when I get away from traffic.  I'm really lucky that I have hundreds of miles of scenic two lane roads.  My younger self liked to blast in my pony cars but now I'm enjoying the purr and elegance of the Cadillac ride.  I'm glad that I stepped away from Cadillacs for 40-odd years so that I can now appreciate the design as the General intended.  I don't listen to music, the car sounds beautiful.
1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham

Big Fins

I took the Fleetwood to dinner Sunday night. As I pulled into the parking lot, a guy with a 69 GMC pick-up pulled in too. We ended up talking for about 20 minutes until my wife came out and asked if I would rather have dinner with him. It was all in jest, but we got the message. His wife was on the same side as mine.

They do create their own little car show where ever you go.

For my peaceful cruises, on a Sunday morning I can go into Kennedy Space Center and the Cape Canaveral Space Force Station and cruise umpteen miles of desolate roads. There is almost no one working in there on a Sunday and those that are, like to drive their classics too.
The trick is, not to stray into restricted areas, but that is a different story altogether.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Lexi

Every car has story to tell and love hearing them. Today I drove my Caddy back to the Shell and also to conduct a test drive as I just completed some fuel system work on Lexi. So a topping up of fuel for winter parking is called for. The owner came out again and snapped some more photos. During our chat he confirmed that Shell V-Power gasoline is ethanol free, (at least in this region), with an octane rating of 91. Then he advised that Shell may introduce an Octane 93 V-Power fuel. Hope this is true. Not sure how wide geographically such a change, if it occurs, would encompass. He added that the middle blend of gas (88?), may also be scrapped, so 87 and V-Power will be those blends remaining. But a little higher octane while retaining zero ethanol is good news in my opinion. Remember the old days when you could dial in your octane level up to 100, or even a touch more as I recall. Also hit the coffee shop with Lexi where she was mobbed. Now parked in storage for the winter. Clay/Lexi

Big Fins

91 octane is about as high as I can find no-deathanol fuel here. Just about all of them are 90 octane, which is enough fun these cars without detonation. If you really need a boost, add in 10 gallons of 101LL Av-Gas.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

scotth3886

Quote from: lexi on November 08, 2021, 04:21:57 PM
As discussed in previous threads by myself and others, sometimes the best car shows are at the local gas station. I went to fill up with Ethanol free Shell V-Power, for perhaps the last tank of the season. Got a thumbs up from a muscle car owner who was doing the same. Another guy in a minivan had to get some shots of Lexi, who I eventually offered that he sit behind the wheel for a picture, (which he accepted). As he was leaving the owner of the station introduced himself, loved the car and asked for a photo op as well. He also accepted my offer to sit inside and using his cell phone I snapped a shot of him behind the wheel. The minivan driver came back and enquired about buying my car. Following a brief chat he left me his card asking me to call should I ever decide to sell. The chain owner of 15 Shell stations offered me a complimentary car wash but I said that I never wash my car and the brushes probably are not good on the finish, to which he agreed and said it was for my daily driver! Another customer yelled out "Nice car" and added the old stand by, "They don't make them like they used to". I then drove the car home, but stopped off at the coffee shop in my daily driver to which the owner "comped" my buddy & I free coffee. He then wanted to know how my recent repairs went on Lexi, so I gave him an update. Earlier this afternoon a courier service driver pulled over to more closely examine Lexi. Some days I drive around and it is like the car is invisible, then there are days like today. And how was your day? Clay/Lexi

This sounds like my average trip to the new Sheetz station in my neighborhood.  Can take me a half hour to get out of there.  Great car for shy peeps and I'm far from shy. 

bcroe

When I take a drive to the coast (the 82 has been to Cal, Canada, FL, and
New Hampshire), I have no time to be looking for special gas.  There were
a lot of issues with my 60s cars, but their octane requirements were the
last straw.  I changed to late 70s V8s, which could be had 400 cu in + and
tweaked to some 260 hp, on crap 87 unleaded.  With a switch pitch trans
and a 2.41:1 axle, besides a lot of other advantages, they are both quicker
and get better mileage than my 60s cars did.  Bruce Roe