News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Dim headlamp on drivers side

Started by Chuck Swanson, November 10, 2021, 09:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Swanson

Just finished full restoration on a '66 vert.  All wiring new, lights new.   Lights are dim on the drivers side.  Have already tried swapping entire assembly with bulbs to passenger side, and they are fine.   Researching and others have said possible ground problem.  Would make sense as ran into with gas gauge before and had to grind down to metal in new paint area.  Others have said relay (Car has Guidematic and Sentinel FYI)

Light switch is making a clicking sound, so I am thinking that too.  I will double check, but I think switch is a new on from NAPA. Have all wiring diagrams, but not sure which ground to check.  Any advice or ideas?
Thanks, Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Tpicks55

To me, when the lights appear dim (slightly brownish) there may be a high resistance in the wiring.  Some corrosion in a terminal or plug maybe. 
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

TJ Hopland

What is the wiring path?   Seems like the wire would most likely go from the switch to the drivers side light then tap off near there to continue to go to the passenger side.   If that is the case then there can't really be anything wrong with the section of wire between the switch and the drivers light because the passenger light is getting its power from the same place so that leaves you with grounds.   

Are the grounds both tied to the same piece of metal?   Or are they different pieces that maybe that maybe got cleaned and painted so they are not actually grounding together anymore?   Try running temp ground wires around various places to verify that.  Maybe you can figure out where the connection between 2 body or frame parts is bad and improve it or just add a ground wire or strap between those places.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like a bad Grounding to me, especially as it is a new restoration.

Had a similar problem with a car I was helping a mate with, and this car had so much more paint on it than ever before, we had to really scrape lots of places where grounds had to be made to get the electrics right.

We forget that when these cars came out of the factory, the paint was really thin, and any serrated washer that was under a grounding screw would sufficiently pierce the paint to gain the required grounding.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon