News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Help needed with 1958 coupe deville muffler(s)

Started by fishchipper, November 10, 2021, 12:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishchipper

We have a 1958 coupe deville and my muffler on the driver side of the vehicle just rusted out.  I need to replace it, but don't know where would be a recommended place to find a replacement that is appropriate for the car and whether it makes sense to go ahead and replace both sides at the same time.  I looked at OPGI, but my car is still in original condition, so I want to try and go back with parts that are at least period appropriate.  I'll take any recommendations I can get.  Also, it looks like they come in varying sizes from 2 1/4, 2 1/2, and 3" sizes. 

I need help with:
Where to find?
Buy one or two even if one is still ok?
What size is the standard exhaust inlet/outlet?

Big Fins

I'd go to my local well known exhaust shop. They will have what you need and what will be required to do the job properly. You stand there and watch them work.

Or you can order it online, hope the parts are correct, make a half dozen trips to the parts store, lay on your back getting all the pipe rust in your eyes etc...

If the mufflers are rusted out, chances are the pipes are too and it will fight you to the end. Put an aluminized steel system on the car and it will last you the rest of your life.

Oh, BTW, That is a handsome car!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

35-709

Classic Exhaust Systems in Geneva, OH advertises in The Self-Starter ---
www.classicexhaustinc.com

Waldron Exhaust in Centreville, MI is another good candidate ---
https://waldronexhaust.com/

These folks specialize in antique and classic cars

The Self-Starter, another great perk of being a CLC member.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

fishnjim

I might be in error, but if has dual mufflers and doesn't have resonators, it's not stock anyway.   
I agree with Fins, exhaust is probably toast elsewhere but the mufflers trap the water most.
You can get steel, aluminized steel, or stainless, depending on your pocket and how long you want to last.   There are other suppliers too.   
If the local muffler shop has the computer bender and the spec. file, they can make them exact.   That's what the guys that make them use.   I had one made for the "P" and it fit like a glove.

V63

The original mufflers seem a higher quality that you can't 'hear'.
There are places that custom build (fabricate)  mufflers to higher standards than shelf versions . Check Hemmings services

Poncholover

Flattie Caddy

Coupe

19 years ago I bought the stainless exhaust set up from Classic Exhaust for my '57 CDV.   The install was easy, every thing fit.  The only change I made was to route the pipe below the bumper. 
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Michael Petti

I have 6 year old Waldron stainless steel. My son has a 12 year old system. Both are still perfect. You get what you pay for. Both cars are driven in summers.