News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'61 Series 62 - question about oil filter

Started by wenger828, November 10, 2021, 05:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wenger828

Hey all, new to the forums.  Recently picked up a 1961 Series 62 from an auto repair customer of mine.  Overall, she's in pretty great shape, aside from a few transmission leaks, it runs great.

The customer I purchased it from said the motor is a 429 but I'm 99% sure it's a 390.  The thing that confuses me though is that this car has a partial-flow oil filter (basket style filter, top of the motor) and not a full-flow filter near the starter.  I was under the impression that after 1960 is when they went to the full-flow?  Does this thing have an older model year engine installed?  The casting# at the back of the engine is 1469230 but I can't seem to find much info on it.  Another casting# I found was 3N11 (located on right side, under the exh.manifold). 

Has anyone converted their partial flow filters to full-flow?

David Greenburg

If its the original engine, its a 390 with a full-flow filter.  If that has been replaced by a 429, it would still have a full-flow filter.  It sounds like yours may have been replaced with a '59 390, as that was the only year the 390 had the canister-type filter on top of the engine.  In those days, the VIN/serial number was also the engine serial number.  It will be stamped on the driver's side of the block, just above the oil pan, more or less in the middle (from front to rear).  If it's the original engine, that number will match the number on the drivers door tag and the frame, and would start with '61."  From what you are describing, I'm guessing you will find that it instead starts with "59." I think it would be very difficult to convert the filter; even if you routed the oil lines to a remote-mounted spin-on filter, you would still not have full-flow filtration because of the way the oil is routed in the block.  Much cheaper to invest in more frequent oil changes if you're concerned about it.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

wenger828

Great, thanks for the response.  The car is on the lift now getting front discs and new master/booster installed, I'll check tomorrow.  Looks like I found the right forum to ask questions about this new-to-me Cadillac!

Quote from: David Greenburg on November 10, 2021, 05:56:50 PM
If its the original engine, its a 390 with a full-flow filter.  If that has been replaced by a 429, it would still have a full-flow filter.  It sounds like yours may have been replaced with a '59 390, as that was the only year the 390 had the canister-type filter on top of the engine.  In those days, the VIN/serial number was also the engine serial number.  It will be stamped on the driver's side of the block, just above the oil pan, more or less in the middle (from front to rear).  If it's the original engine, that number will match the number on the drivers door tag and the frame, and would start with '61."  From what you are describing, I'm guessing you will find that it instead starts with "59." I think it would be very difficult to convert the filter; even if you routed the oil lines to a remote-mounted spin-on filter, you would still not have full-flow filtration because of the way the oil is routed in the block.  Much cheaper to invest in more frequent oil changes if you're concerned about it.

David Greenburg

Great that you can check on a lift. You will likely need a rag to clean things off enough to read the numbers, but it will be much easier than lying on your back with the car on jack stands.  Yes, you have found the right place for gaining knowledge about these cars. Lots of people with significant expertise here.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

quadfins

I concur with David's analysis.

Sounds like a 59 or earlier engine.

Is the distributor in the front, or rear? Front would be a 429 or later. Rear would be 390 or earlier.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Big Fins

Either way, anything 1960 and newer was a spin on full flow filter. I doubt that anyone would intentionally want one of those messy canisters.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille