News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

No Oil Pressure on My Flathead

Started by Jamurray, November 11, 2021, 05:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamurray

I'm back from two weeks in California visiting our daughter and our grandchildren. I spent a lot of time thinking about my oil pressure or lack thereof and considering worse case scenarios. A worse case scenario would be drop the pan on the new engine in the car, drop the pan on the old engine sitting on the garage floor, and then swapping the old oil pump for the new one.

I have some good news. I pulled the distributor and used a tool I made to turn the pump with an electric drill. Someone said it would make a mess if I didn't block the hole that allows oil to feed the distributor. They were right, but I  liked the mess because it means the pump worked.

I noticed when I looked at the slot the distributor driven shaft fits into that it appears "roughed up" I think someone was right when they said it wasn't fully seated, and I just couldn't see that.

I'm going to be more careful about installing the distributor this time and see what I get for oil pressure. Thanks to you all for your advice and stay tuned.