News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Steering column coupling

Started by Bwt, November 24, 2021, 11:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bwt

In consulting with the Cadillac parts book from the 1959-1965 era, I see there is only one part number for all models on the steering column coupling. Same number applies to all 61-64 without tele.column Some online parts suppliers list the Lares manufactured part #201 for commercial chassis, not other models of the 1961 Cadillac model year. Yet, same source lists the Lares #201 for 1962 De Ville.
Has anyone used the above referenced coupling, or rag joint as so many call it?
It is described as 13/16 31 spline with flat. My original is tired. I tried to install the disc kit. Just not happy with the finished product.  I have seen another kit available that includes rivets instead of bolts. I have used an air chisel to peen heavy rivets before with success. That may be an option. Appreciate all input from others that may chime in.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have had success in replacing the Coupling (Rag Joint) and had made up some using 1/2" thick conveyor belting cut to shape, and holes punched through with a hole punch, and a heavy hammer.

Pictured is one that needed to be replaced that was a result of misalignment, and when making the replacement riveted pins, it was a case of a bit of lathe work, and then fitting.   This was in a '69, but others are similar.

The pins are there to ensure that there is steering capability even if the rubber completely breaks.

Bruce.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon