News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Which car jack load capacity Cadillacs (and American cars in general)

Started by Julien Abrahams, November 14, 2021, 06:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

Dear all,

I need to replace my floorjack. The current one just gave up after 50 years already. The quality is not what it used to be  ;D.
Anyway, I was wondering what capacity should I be looking for. As most Cadillacs for up until the 70's way up to about 2,5 tons, I was wondering what capacity are you guys using in general?
I know that you will not lift the whole car at once, but on the other hand I think it is better to have some overkill with regard to the jack. Now I am doubting between 2 and 3 ton capacity jacks from Compac. The only thing which is keeping me from buying the 3 ton jack is price. The 3 ton version is about twice as expensive as the 2 ton version.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

The Tassie Devil(le)

What you need as a minimum is going to be a 1.5 Ton floor jack of good quality.

Even though a car might weigh well over 2 Ton, when raising half the car, half the capacity is needed.

Not one of those cheap compact Chinese ones, but one with the long handle that allows you to push the jack right under the front or rear suspension, and operate the jack from out in the open.

The small ones with the little carry handle are a waste of time as they might be rated, but not easy to use under any car.

The one in the foreground is the type I am referring to.

The middle one is a 5 ton one, and the rear one is a 3 Ton Mechanical Jack which I prefer to use under the back of my Cadillac as it reaches right underneath, the cars' overhang being so deep.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

fishnjim

Depends how low the car sits and where it'll be used, also.
I had to get a low profile for the '58, my 5 ton OTC which I use for everything, won't fit under the cross member.   My old 3 ton I used to "pre-jack" was leaking off.     
I'd buy the best one I could afford.   You're not saving money if it collapses during jacking.   I wouldn't mess around with anything less than 3 ton today, it seriously limits it's use, and the lighter cheapo ones tip.   The old garage bumper jacks had a ratchet stop on them to prevent falling.   Recall not to long ago, there was a recall on jack stands, that would collapse.   These things should never get to market.   Beware that a lot of the old line equipment company "names" have been bought up by "Asian" companies, so even it's its a trusted name, it's not the same.   
Sorry state when we have no choice to buy quality tools and the profits are going to arm against us...   I'd just as soon, let them cargo ships sit out in the ocean...   I might suggest to restore that 50 year old one!

35-709

"I might suggest to restore that 50 year old one!"

I agree, check around at some of the shops that specialize in hydraulic equipment and repair in your vicinity --- even the Netherlands should have hydraulic service businesses.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Lexi

I'm with fishnjim. Going cheap on a tool that your life depends on, makes no sense. Clay/Lexi

walt chomosh #23510

J.
NAPA has a jack program that will transport your 50yr old jack to Oklahoma City (jack overhaul shop) (free shipping) for overhaul by the pros. The cost to repair may be higher then you like but your jack should last a long time.....walt...tulsa,ok

35-709

Daryl Chesterman

Mr. Newcombe, there is a "branch" of NAPA in The Netherlands.  NAPA, under the umbrella of Genuine Parts Company in the USA, is known as 
Alliance Automotive Group Benelux, in The Netherlands—see the link below.  They may, or may not have a hydraulic jack rebuild program like there is through NAPA in the USA.

https://www.genpt.com/napa.html

Daryl Chesterman

Daryl Chesterman

Julien, if you liked your old jack, it is a good name-brand jack, and you are mechanically capable, they are relatively easy to repair; and if it is a name-brand jack, there might be a rebuild kit available for it.  After 50 years of use, yours probably just needs some new o-rings and it will be almost as good as new.  If a kit is not available, when/if you take it apart, you can assess the condition of the piston bore and see if it is feasible to rebuild it.  As Mr. Newcombe said, there should be a hydraulic repair shop somewhere close to you.  If you know any farmers or construction people, they can probably tell you of a place to get the needed repair parts.  If you really want to replace it, usually, the larger capacity jacks will also lift higher, so that is a consideration when choosing what lifting capacity to purchase.

Daryl Chesterman

TJ Hopland

One thing I don't like about the typical floor jack is that as they lift the position has to change.  That isn't too bad if you are on nice smooth clean concrete but any other surface that could cause a problem.   

Bottle jacks don't usually have the range for many jacking jobs.   Does anyone make a hydraulic scissors type of jack? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

An air operated bottle jack is the best, but just not practical in a roadside situation.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

35-709

Quote from: Daryl Chesterman on November 15, 2021, 11:49:50 PM
Mr. Newcombe, there is a "branch" of NAPA in The Netherlands.  NAPA, under the umbrella of Genuine Parts Company in the USA, is known as 
Alliance Automotive Group Benelux, in The Netherlands—see the link below.  They may, or may not have a hydraulic jack rebuild program like there is through NAPA in the USA.

https://www.genpt.com/napa.html

Daryl Chesterman
Thank you for that, the learning process continues.   :)
Geoff N.

Julien Abrahams

Thank you for the replies!
The problem with the original jack (which is very good quality jack) is not that it is leaking hydraulic fluid (I replaced all the seals a couple of years ago). The problem is that the top plate that connects the two lifting arms (on which the lifting pad rests) has actuallz snapped. I think it can be welded, but I have to find a shop nearby which is willing to do that.
I think I just overloaded it. I did not position it far enough forward which caused it to try to lift the left hand of the Cadillac.
It might be a combination of overloading and material fatigue after 50 years.
I would like to have it welded just to keep it for smaller cars that are under 1.5 tons For those it should be fine. It also has emotional value. For the big cars, like the Cadillac, I wanted to get a new jack with a higher capacity. I think 2 ton should be OK, but I am doubting if perhapse the 3 ton is the better way to go as it is sort of overkill.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett