News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fuel Line Replacement 1970 Deville

Started by Jvteach07, December 18, 2021, 08:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jvteach07

Had my carburetor rebuilt on my 1970 Deville, of course I had to cut the fuel line to get it out. I ordered a new pump to carb fuel line while the carb was being rebuilt. My questions are 1) will it be difficult to swap this out? Will gas put out when I take the fuel line off the pump? Will it be difficult to remove the fuel line from the fuel pump as it was to get off the carburetor?
Joe Tortora
1970 Cadillac Devill Convertible

76eldo

Some fuel will spill when you take the line off at the fuel pump but not much.
Put a pan under there to catch it. It should only be whatever is in the line going up to the carb.

Will it be hard ?

Well that depends on your tools and your ability I guess.

Why did you have to cut the line?
Was the nut rounded off and stripped?

You need a flared fitting "line" wrench and a large open end (1" I think)
To hold back the large nut on the carb while you tighten or loosen the fitting.

You have to get both of these pretty tight to avoid a leak.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jvteach07

Yes I had to cut the line because it was stripped going to the carburetor. I bought a new line that has the flair and nuts already on it. So I'm hoping it'll be very easy swap
Joe Tortora
1970 Cadillac Devill Convertible

jwwseville60

FYI

A reminder....use braided fuel lines.
Some auto parts stores sell you non-braided ones.
JWW
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

79 Eldorado

Above Brian mentioned placing something under where you're working. Sometimes it's difficult to fit a tray exactly where you need it so I also pack a hand full of crumpled paper towels around the area. Wear gloves. My general rule is anytime you open the fuel system fuel will find a way to make a mess so plan for a little more than you suspect will come out.

If it's hard line, with fittings on both ends, start the threads on both ends prior to tightening either end. Bends will rarely be perfect so just getting the threads started on both ends can help. You may need to remove one end and lightly massage the shape as well.

Scott