News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 Ball Joints

Started by Will68, November 18, 2021, 05:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will68

1968 DeVille Convertible, 144,000 miles:  August 2021 I had my mechanic replace both front end sides upper and lower ball joints on my vehicle.  Parts, rather difficult to get, were a mix of Moog and another sourced from O'Reilly's:  two were circa $55 each and two were $96 each.   Labor was just shy of $400, so $50 per joint to install.   Inspection of the old joints revealed loose (but not horribly sloppy) condition in all of the joints . . . almost even deterioration all around.   

My problem - Alignment: before the replacement the vehicle drove straight as an arrow at all speeds.  After the ball joint install it still drove straight - no drifting, but, mechanic recommended an alignment given the new install of joints and 7 years since last check.   After alignment there is now a very noticeable drift to the right at low speed (just rolling at 2 mph the drift is very pronounced).  It has been on the newer electronic alignment machine four (4) times with readout saying it is in specification.  After fourth attempt they tinkered with camber rods but made no difference.   Shop owner gave up, refunded me and advise I take elsewhere

Any observations on this problem welcomed.
W. Glennon

Highwayman68

Yes those new machines don't understand our older cars and provide false recommendations on adjustments which today's mechanics only know how to follow. You need to find someone who has the old equipment and knows these cars and knows how to make adjustments without a computer involved.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Dave Shepherd

Do you have a printout of the final settings, if so try and post them. We do a lot of this work in my shop. There is no info in a modern alignment  machine, so you can just set up the alignment  manually based on factory specs, changes in the settings are required if the car has radial tires

Big Fins

Set the right side (passenger) 1/2o more positive than spec with radials. Make toe-in 1/8".
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Caddyholic

Did you replace the upper and lower A arm bushings? And strut rod bushings?
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Dave Shepherd

Big Fins, what setting  are you referring to camber?  When using radials you would try and get some positive caster. With the old school steering linkage normally you need a little more toe in to compensate for the usual slop at all the joints.  Just referring to all alignments  done on those generation cars in my shop.

Big Fins

I just re-read my post. Yes, caster is what you want. My bad by not proof-reading.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Dave Shepherd

Hey I proof read and still fumble. Lol

Big Fins

Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille