News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

73 eldo. Speedometer bounce

Started by kkkaiser, November 10, 2021, 06:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkkaiser

Ive read several threads regarding above.  Some mention ac or cruise control.   Mine has both, but the C is not in the car, thus inoperable.

Mine has a pretty consistent bounce.  I am attaching a couple pictures.  One is lower on block, it also ties into another part hand another cable comes out into th firewall.

The prior comments note removing and cleaning and regreasing can cure a lot of this, barring bend or twisted cable.   So should i just completely remove both connections, and clean?  The one at the block looks covered in gunk, or just undo the block one.

Also, are this under any spring tension that something will comin firing out, like a spring or something?

Any other repair regime that comes to mind wouod be helpful as contingency

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Ken,

Speedo Bounce could be a couple of things, but the usual cause is a sticking inner cable.

The cable from the CC fitting to the Trans is easy to access, but the one to the Speedo Head can only be accessed from the back of said head, that is up and under the dash.

Getting up there to access the clip for removal can be rather awkward, and then getting the inner cable out, greases and back in without getting lubricant into places one doesn't want lubricant is a task requiring three hands, or a friend.

Now, if that doesn't fix it, then the Speedo/Odometer may need dismantling to get inside to see what is restricting the rotation, then lubricating in there.

I had a Speedo that the needle bounced around, and it turned out that the odometer drive gear was so sticky from lack of use, that it required dismantling.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

kkkaiser

Thanks,,
in the interim, can it be just disengaged and rendered non functional?  thinking of making a really long trip, 2100 miles, speed limits wont be an issue?  say, remove the connection from the first picture and where it ties in to the second picture. Then cover/protect that lower connection from debris, etc.??

The Tassie Devil(le)

No trouble in removing it from the position in the first picture.   Just tie it out of the way, so it doesn't lay across the exhaust pipe.

BUT, you could also undo it from the Cruise Control module, and simply pull out the inner cable, then re-attach it to the CC Module.   This way, there will be no loos ends to flop around.   Just don't forget where you put the inner cable.

Remember that you won't have Cruise Control, unless you remove the upper connector that goes to the Speedo in the second picture.   Leaving the lower cable attached, the CC will still work.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

kkkaiser

Ok,  thanks,   my cc control is not operable to start w so i wont be missing anything on that point.  Thanks again

tmdeturck

Just be careful with this.  In many countries and states, there are Federal and state laws regarding driving a vehicle with a knowingly disconnected odometer.  The speedometer part may not matter as much depending on where you are driving, so check the laws that apply to the areas you plan to drive through.
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

kkkaiser

I got time to chk this.  The cap was packed w grease, sludge.  At first, i thought a o ring had been mushed up. But dug it out and just crud.  Blew it out of cap.

2 more questions
Is there an o ring that goes in cap?
2 attached picture.  Does this look like a normal end?

TJ Hopland

Looks normal to me.  I don't recall an oring. 

If your cruise doesn't work that adds one more point in favor of the cruise being worn and maybe causing the bounce. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

There is no "O" Ring, as the oil is contained within the Transmission by the "O" Rings that are around and within the speedo drive unit.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

35-709

1973, ~50 years --- that inner cable needs to be pulled completely out, cleaned with solvent and then re-greased along it's entire length and then reinserted, I use a white lube like Lubriplate.  Easy, but messy, job once you get it loose from the speedometer and pull it out from the speedo end, it will only come out (and go back in) in one direction --- Same with the one from the tranny to the CC unit.   As has been noted, protect your interior from the nasty black grease/goop that will come with it, I use a 2(?) quart pot to coil it up in as I pull it out, and then to put it back in.  I also like to use something like brake cleaner in an aerosol can to clean the inside of the outer housing of old grease.  Stick the straw down the housing and blast away, put a rag around the opening in case you get some kickback.

Note:  As Bruce mentioned, the cable housing does not unscrew from the back of the speedo, there is a clip holding it in and it can be a miserable job getting your fingers on it and pushing the tab in while pulling back on the housing a little to release it.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

This is what the release clip looks like.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

kkkaiser

thanks for the instructions..judging from the crud that wa in that cap, i can see how it would be messy

benji808

You can probably find a new upper (or lower) speedo cable for ~$20 if you want to avoid the mess. I got one for my '75 from Autozone last week (although it didn't completely fix my bounce, lol).

kkkaiser

well if it could tame it to down to maybe a 5 mph bounce,,  id be good..kinda like some leaks,, if i could just cut them in half to nickels on the floor as opposed to silver dollar spots, id me happy

35-709

If you are getting a large bounce, the inner cable is no doubt binding inside the outer housing and twisting and then turning loose when enough energy has been stored, the end result of this, soon enough, will be a broken inner cable.  It is warning you and telling you it needs maintenance.
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have said it before, and I will say it again, a bouncing speedo needle is not good, no matter how much it bounces, as this is not only affecting the needle itself, but the internal mechanical gearing of the odometer.

These things like a smooth action.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

kkkaiser

I have a neighbor who has been working on i will say engines for 40 years.  He was a fleet mechanic at yellowstone park for years. Worked on diesels. Snow machines, plows. Bulldozers,  everything.   Well, when i cleaned out tge end, it helped.  I heard a sort of flpping noise, so i got him in the car, went for ride, left car w him, two hours later, i went by,  he had tge whole cruise box pulled apart.  Were the speedo cable goes in, then reroutes to dash.   Pieces everywere.   Well, he said it was all gunked up, he was cleaning everything, relubing what needed it.  He put it all bk together and it now is smooth silk.  They flapping i was hearing was coming from the cruise headvthat he dismantked and cleaned..
He oulled the cable as well.
I would hv never attempted to pull that apart.   So, the reason i follwed up w this is someone else may hv same problem. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks for posting the results.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TJ Hopland

Good to hear it just needed a cleaning.   All of the ones I have taken apart had enough wear in them that the clutch disc sort of things that are not supposed to touch each other were touching.  When that happens you get bounce no matter what and there isn't much you can do at that point other than find a unit in better condition.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709