News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Gas Gauge Issues, '76 Eldorado

Started by joeinbcs, November 21, 2021, 06:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeinbcs

Howdy,
I was about to replace the fuel tank sending unit on my car....'76 Eldorado convertible, 36K miles.
It sat a lot in the last 20 years, and from reading the posts here, I concluded that the sending unit must be bad.
Then, while working on an unrelated issue, I noticed that the fuel gauge reads correctly....but only after I've had the ignition on, then turned it off, in that brief time before the Twilight Sentinel turns the lights off.
Now I'm wondering if the fuel tank sending unit isn't the problem, but some other electrical issue.
Anybody else experienced something similar?
Thanks, Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

TJ Hopland

Did you try disconnecting and grounding the electrical connection for the sender that I believe is back behind the license plate?   That will tell you if the gauge is working.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

joeinbcs

Yes, I cleaned the connection and made sure it was a good ground, but had no effect.
The usual symptom is the gauge goes to beyond full when I turn the ignition on, and beyone empty when I turn it off...except when the Twilight Sentinel has kept the lights on when the ignition is in the off position.  Then it reads accurately..I believe...
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

TJ Hopland

If you ground the wire does the gauge reading change?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

joeinbcs

Quote from: TJ Hopland on November 21, 2021, 06:37:08 PM
If you ground the wire does the gauge reading change?

I just removed the rear ground wire, and there was no difference.  When the ignition is in the off position, the gauge is all the way past empty.  When I turn the ignition to the on position, it goes all the way to beyond full and stays there.  When I turn the ignition off, the gauge goes to half full (which I believe is the true indication of how much gas is in the tank), but then, after the Twilight Sentinel turns the lights off, it goes to beyond empty.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

robert G. smits

Do you have any information from the PO if the gas gauge worked during his ownership. 
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

joeinbcs

Quote from: robert G. smits on November 25, 2021, 10:00:47 AM
Do you have any information from the PO if the gas gauge worked during his ownership.

Yes, I'm friendly with the PO, and he actually came to see the car and have lunch recently.
When I got the car, the gauge didn't seem to work.  When I asked him about it he told me that he recalled it working sporadically.  It has only seemed to indicate the correct amount of gas in the tank when I've had the ignition on (and the lights), turned the ignition off (then it reads correctly for a few seconds before the Twilight Sentinel turns the lights off, then the gauge needle goes back beyond empty.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432