News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Sixty Special "Ultra" Seating Package

Started by fellenzer, November 22, 2021, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fellenzer

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with the design/troubleshooting of the Ultra seating package (22-way heated seats)? 1993 Sixty Special.

Thanks.
Michael Fellenzer, #30007
Indianapolis, IN
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1976 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham (EFI, ACRS)
1976 Coupe deVille (Astro/Cabriolet)
1984 Seville
1989 Fleetwood Coupe
1989 Sedan deVille
1992 Fleetwood
1992 Coupe deVille
1992 Sedan deVille
1993 Sixty Special (Ultra)
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
2015 SRX

James Landi

Model and year of the car?  Perhaps a bit more narrative regarding  what the "ultra" is--- as you're likely aware, GM "test marketed" many convenience items on the Cadillac brand that quickly faded as offerings over a short period of time, so the "Ultra seats" may not "ring any bells" on the forum.    I'm curious to know more., James

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

In 1993, "Sixty Special" replaced the name "Fleetwood" for the top of the line FWD sedan. The Ultra option featured 22-way "Recaro" style front seating which were heated. 

In 1991 & 1992 the same FWD model was called "Fleetwood" with the premium version called "Sixty Special" instead of "Ultra".

The "Sixty Special" option in 91/92 was available on Fleetwood Sedan only, not the Fleetwood Coupe.

https://jackbaruth.com/?p=14962
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Carfreak

Do you have the FSM (Factory Shop Manuals)? 

IIRC, there were likely at least two thick books.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

fellenzer

Replies when to my spam folder and I'm just seeing them.

James, the year and model were included in my original post and I see now that Eric more fully answered your question. Thank you, Eric.

Carfreak, yes, I have the service manual. There is not a lot of detail on that seating package, unfortunately.

Before I got into a long narrative about my issue, I was hoping to find someone who might be familiar with or have experience with the option package.

In short, I know I need to replace all the tubing for the pneumatic functions of the seats as there are broken bits (dry and brittle) on the floor. The seat heaters are not working (indicator lights come on so guessing the elements need to be replaced which isn't too difficult). The real issue is that the electric seat functions work intermittently. When they are not working (both seats) I can hear some clicking and buzzing. Same is true of the door locks. They usually work but sometimes just a click or buzz and the lock will vibrate but not engage. A friend suggested there may be a loose ground. Looking for thoughts/ideas before I start pulling the seats out.

Thanks.
Indianapolis, IN
1984 Seville
1989 Fleetwood Coupe
1989 Sedan deVille
1992 Fleetwood
1992 Coupe deVille
1992 Sedan deVille
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
2015 SRX

fellenzer

By the by, in 1993, the Sixty Special had the standard deVille seats unlike previous years where the Fleetwood model had button-tufted seats to set them apart from the deVille. The Ultra seating package was a $3,500 option. They are amazingly comfortable.
Indianapolis, IN
1984 Seville
1989 Fleetwood Coupe
1989 Sedan deVille
1992 Fleetwood
1992 Coupe deVille
1992 Sedan deVille
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
2015 SRX

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: fellenzer on December 07, 2021, 09:01:02 AM
By the by, in 1993, the Sixty Special had the standard deVille seats unlike previous years where the Fleetwood model had button-tufted seats to set them apart from the deVille.

I never thought about it like that but you're absolutely right. Personally I prefer the regular seats to those in the (91/92) Sixty Special and 1993 Ultra. They're extremely complex, far more likely to become troublesome with age and are no more comfortable, IMHO. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute