News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Brass fittings between Fuel Pump & Filter Bowl

Started by SteveB3155, November 21, 2021, 06:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB3155

I'm detecting a small fuel leak on the brass fittings coming out of the fuel pump of my 1961 Cadillac Series 62 convertible.  I'm planning on replacing the Airtex pump as soon as Arthur Gould Rebuilders finishes rebuilding my NOS AC Pump.   A couple of questions.  Should I replace the brass fittings between the pump and the AC Filter Bowl?  Also, is there some sort of sealant I should use on the brass fittings that will keep fuel from seeping through the threads?  Thanks for any insight. 

1961 Series 62 Convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Steve,

Looking at the condition of the brass fittings, especially the one closest to the fuel pump, they have had a lot of action with tools that weren't meant for the task.

The only way to seal the threads from leaking could be to use a special Plumbers/Air Conditioning thread sealant that is designed for petroleum products.

But, don't rule out the possibility of a crack in either piece as they look like they have been really strained.

These threads are, or should be, taper threads, which seal the gap as they are tightened, but the problem arises when the tightening has been done, and the parts don't actually align, so it is either back off, or keep on tightening.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

SteveB3155

Thanks for the assessment, Bruce.  I guess I should look for new fittings.  Do they have a particular name?  Wondering if a high quality auto parts store might be able to assist me?  It's like a needle in the haystack trying to find the right item on the internet.
1961 Series 62 Convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

Steve,

Not sure the actual engineering name, but an Auto Parts store, or even a Brake Shop may have the parts, but they are a brass 90 Degree elbow with male and female fitting, and a tapered thread.

I would have some here, but I am a tad far away.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Any good hardware store should carry those as well.  Take one of the old ones with you or at least take a picture of them on your cell phone.  The auto parts store or hardware store should also have a proper sealant to put on the threads.  My go to store first around here is NAPA.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Clewisiii

These fittings should be available.  On my spares the fittings are not all the same.  Sot there is a miss-match of some styles.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

savemy67

Hello Steve,

From your photo it looks like you have 2 brass "street" elbows connected with a "close" nipple (close as in nearby, not close the door).  A street elbow has one leg with male threads, and on leg with female threads.  A regular elbow has female threads in both legs.

If you get new parts, assemble the 2 street elbows with the close nipple first.  Tighten these parts securely, then assemble the fittings to the fuel pump.  Lastly, adjust the location of the fuel filter as needed to allow assembly of the fuel filter to the fittings.

If the joined street elbows will not turn 360 degrees when assembling them into the fuel pump you will have to assemble each fitting in succession beginning at the fuel pump.  Use an adjustable or open-end wrench to tighten, but do not use Herculean force.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

fishnjim

Unfortunately, you won't find "new" fittings of similar shape.   The "plumbophobes" have removed(reduced level)) lead from brass, leading to redesign, and the "global" economy has these sourced from asia, mostly. 
They should be listed fuel section in the part list covering '61.

I'd look for places(hardware, parts, etc) that might still have old fittings in stock.   My store had them but the manager threw them out to my dismay.  Had they told I'd have bought them.
I used a common "pipe dope" thread sealant on these, without teflon kind, no teflon tape.  Messy so dont; use too much and wipe up after tight.
Not much you can do when a NPT thread has been over tightened and the integrity lost.  There's not enough dimension to rethread.   
They should be 1/8" NPT thread fittings.   The big box don't carry any more.   I'd search online also, some of the major fittings makers may have them listed.   Usually, the fuel bowl housing is the problem as it's softer material.
ps: should not use pipe wrench on brass, it'll crack or slip easy.   Strap wrench or adjustable slip pliers.  Don't try to twist tighen as one end will tighten mor ethan the others, tighten joints individually.   You can wrap some tape/cloth on it to prevent scoring or use a piece of flat rubber.  These flat side elbow use a small crescent wrench or open end.