News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'61 Battery replacement

Started by MidModCad, November 22, 2021, 09:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

Time for a new battery, but I'm not sure what I'm replacing. Bought my '61 coupe a couple of years ago with an Interstate battery not of original size and with no identifying specs (pic below). Obviously, it's a modern size - shorter and narrower than OEM. Also, I fabbed up a battery topper which looks great, so keeping that is a priority.  What brands are favorites and with what specs to keep our big motors cranking?

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Michael Petti

Could not download the picture either, but NAPA has batteries that will fit the car, not sure about the topper. Try there first.

MidModCad

Let's see if it loads this time.  Yes, I'm sure I can find one to fit, but what about cranking amps, brand, longevity, etc.?  Any preferences?

dermike211

Tried both links and your picture is still not loading. Don't know much about the size for your topper, but I have an interstate MT-27 in my '61. Specs can be found on Google, but it's a group 27 with 810 cold cranking amps (~1000 CA). Seems to get the job done reliably.

Caddyholic

I run group 27F on both mine. It is 27 with reversed posts.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Big Fins

"F" denotes a Ford application, which is simply a reversal of the posts.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

MidModCad

Thanks all. The battery info was worn off of my old one so I decided to go with a 34.  Plenty of cranking and the diameter fits my topper perfectly. The guy at O'Reilys says it should last 3-4 years so we'll see.

Jon S

I just got a group 27 Interstate and doctored it up to look like a Delco of the period. Note the DELCO is not a large sticker, but individual letters:
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jon S

Quote from: Big Fins on November 24, 2021, 06:15:27 PM
"F" denotes a Ford application, which is simply a reversal of the posts.

Correct. I use a 27F in my Lincoln. If he used a 27 his battery cables would be closer to the engine and the battery would sit in reverse to how it is now. I don't know why they didn't put the posts in the center of the battery on each side so will be applicable for both General Motors and Ford and save them manufacturing and warehousing costs.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Big Fins

Do you really think there is any real logic to engineering?
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille