News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

FS: Not Mine - 1961 DeVille - or is it a Park Avenue? $5,000

Started by Bryan J Moran, November 23, 2021, 10:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan J Moran

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/861655261393992/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A67b221a6-c0ee-45e9-9636-26956b9263c6

On Facebook marketplace, need to be on Facebook to view link.

The 1st photo makes this one look like a short deck Park Avenue.  I asked the seller, but he has such little content in the "ad" that he probably doesn't know.  We will see.

CLC 35000 in number only

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Body style#6399 on body plate will confirm "Short Deck Sedan deVille" (not called Park Avenue in '61). Also the body code in VIN# is "D" for this model which therefore begins as"61D". 

Definitely appears 1961 Short Deck in the pictures.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

gkhashem

Certainly not 45K miles but 145K!

Chrome great shape? Maybe OK, if you can see all those pits in a photo it will look worse in person. Plus no interior shots?

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Bryan J Moran

I agree it's another poor ad. No photos of interior.  Whenever I see these minimal content ads, which are exactly the opposite of what I write, I think it's a flip, perhaps an emotional "I'll buy it" decision which they quickly regret.

BUT - if it is a 6399, in that dark grey, with a decent driver interior, then somewhere between $1500 and $3500 is a good buy.  I like that color of grey (I think it's grey) in a Cadillac.  The problem these sellers don't understand is that a repaint costs $12,000, and if it needs a rebuild of the drivetrain, and it says it is non running, then add $10,000 +.   

This is why an $18,000 nice original or older restoration 1961 Cadillac is money ahead, and unfortunately, these projects likely are not getting restored. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Bryan J Moran

Based on Eric's help above, I communicated with the seller and he confirmed it is the short wheelbase SDV.  He is selling for a deceased father who owned it many years.  $5,000, no interest. 

I guess one of the issues that bothers me with all of these next generation sellers essentially selling estate cars - and in some respects this can include the large New York auction recently ended where the widow did not even know the cars were there - is the apparent disconnect and tepid interest of the next generation. 

I wish my dad had bequeathed his 1961 short deck SDV to me!  But this seller told me via facebook messaging when I made my short deck inquiries - "yes it is a short deck, that's what my dad always told me".

I would know everything about my dad's prized 1961 Cadillac if he had owned it several years and I was his son!

But I see that quite a bit, and it's sad. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Just to clarify - the wheelbase is identical to all regular Cadillac models. Only the decklid and rear quarters are shorter (by 7").

Bryan J Moran

Yes!  My bad - not a shorter wheelbase.  I have never seen a Park Avenue / 6399 but I wonder if the proportions are "better" than a regular length SdV. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Bryan J Moran

I'm not sure I want to bother the seller unless I am more serious about buying.  This was his father's car and he is liquidating the estate I think.   He has been friendly in his facebook messaging.  He has dropped the price from $6,000 to $5,000 but I don't pay $5,000 for non running full on projects. 

To me this checks a few boxes.  I like 61 Cadillacs, but am not a huge fan of the semi bubble top CdV's.  I know of a Fleetwood close by, another project, for about a $1,000, in Turquoise, that I have checked out but that would be very expensive to restore as it has sat outside for decades. 

If I am seeing this correctly, it's a dark grey metallic, but you look at the front photo, it looks blueish.   No photos of interior, I could ask for more photos but again, I don't want to be a lookie loo.  Dark Grey Metallic on a 1961 SdV short deck sounds nice, with perhaps a matching interior. 

Suppose it is a complete non running car, rolls onto a trailer, some rust but not a basketcase, what is the right price?   $5,000 is hard to do when there are nice drivers (in all years generally from the 30's to the 70's) for $15,000?  1/3 of cost for a car needing everything? 
CLC 35000 in number only

James Landi

I've been on the "horns of that dilemma" on occasion.  I "almost bought and then did not" for any number of reasons, but over time, it all distilled to two major factors--- it was not the model or did not have the options that I truly wanted   For example, I passed on a '56 sdv (a good driver, 47k miles) at a good price.  It didn't have air conditioning.   I don't regret not purchasing that '56.   I owned a 61 convertible, loved it, and would love to own a 61 Fleetwood, but not enthusiastic about the sedans.  Perhaps the ONE you really want will come your way.    Happy day, James

Bryan J Moran

He did send along photos of the interior and it is decent.  I think a new owner could recover the front seat bottom and maybe the package tray and call it good.  It was white and dark grey or black interior. 

I would say it was a 47,000 mile car but would need bodywork-paint etc. 
CLC 35000 in number only

fiftysixcaddy

I try to stay away from cars that have a Trailer Hitch.

fiftysixcaddy

I asked for the ID plate. Paint Aleutian Gray, Trim Black & White. 6399

Bryan J Moran

Quote from: fiftysixcaddy on December 13, 2021, 05:00:46 PM
I asked for the ID plate. Paint Aleutian Gray, Trim Black & White. 6399

Dan,

Agree that sounds correct, thanks for asking for the tag.  I communicated with seller again today and he states all of the folks that were supposed to show up did not.  It's so easy to say "I'm coming" and then disregard.

I really like the car, and he asked me again today when I was coming to get it.  To me, that dark grey with black and white interior is a nice, conservative combination appropriate to the car.   I just don't over pay and he has not dropped price. 

It is likely a 45,000 mile car, although there is a fair amount of body work, including a different hood. 

Nothing wrong with a full length SdV, but the shorter length here works, maybe because the fins exude additional length anyway. 

I've always loved the 61 Cadillacs from the time "Collectible Automobile" covered them in a 1961-1964 article.  Loved the driving light placement. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Bryan J Moran

CLC 35000 in number only