News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 Wipers won't park

Started by Big Fins, November 19, 2021, 04:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Fins

As the title says, they worked fine after I cleaned and lubed the door switch with dielectric grease. Then on the way to Melbourne in the pouring rain they worked fine. When I went to turn them off when the rain quit, they slowly slowed down while bouncing up and down and then parked after about 10 times up and down.

The resistor in the switch itself was a little brittle and a little of the casing flaked off of it while cleaning it. Not sure if this is the culprit or the relay and switch assembly in the wiper drive assembly as referred to in the FSM. To me, the resistor is only to control the speed of the setting.

I'm all ears on this one.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

35-709

Fins,
Someone here just had the same problem and did a write up with pics. showing what he did --- darned if I can find it now, maybe it was posted on some other forum.
Anyway, I believe he used a Dremel with a little wire wheel and cleaned/polished all of the flat connectors on all of the male plug-ins for the wiper.  I would imagine he also used (or might have) a fine piece of folded sandpaper to clean the female side of the connector.  That cured his problem, apparently there was enough resistance in the connectors because of corrosion that good enough contact was not being made.  Also check your wiper ground(s).  GM had this problem for many years.
Geoff
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

I had a very similar problem with the wipers in my '60, and it turned out to be the degradation of a small rubber tube that insulated the parking mechanism within the wiper motor itself.

This piece was about 1/4" long, and the broken off piece got caught in the parking area of the windscreen washer pump actuator.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

I don't see anything in the washer pulse mechanism and the pump is replaced by a washer pump that shoots a steady stream timed by the pulse timer instead of a pulse. Sort of a modern update.

I do have the Dremel, the bits, a few small diamond files and some DeOxIt spray. It sure is an awkward position to have to work in to clean them because the pigtails are so short, but we'll give it a try and see. They worked fine until the wipers were on for any duration.

Today is the perfect day for them. It's been raining since last night.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

CadillacFanBob

There is an article with photos in the Self-Starer November-December 2021 on pages 39 & 40 by Lars Kneller, like 35-709 was describing, I hope this helps.

Bob
Frankfort, Illinois

35-709

AHA!  THAT'S where I saw it.  Thank you CadillacFanBob.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Big Fins

Thank you, Bob. The SS is in my hand as I type.  :)

EDIT: I know what I'm doing after breakfast!
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Big Fins

It's a beautiful thing!

The connections are all polished and cleaned with a fine Dremel wire wheel, DeOxit cleaner and protected by same chemical brand. They work properly on low, medium and high, just as intended.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

So.   Was it just the dirty connections?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

It seems so. All works as it was designed now.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille