News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

generator light, 1955

Started by G.Lucas #25354, December 02, 2021, 11:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.Lucas #25354

I have a generator light on the dash that seems to work intermittently. When key is turned it use to light up and go out when car was started and flicker at low rpm. It no longer does this. I checked the bulb, it's fine. I left it out from the generator housing and saw that it was working and behaving normally. I placed it back into the socket and now it no longer shines. The car has been completely rewired, and all seemed to work well, now gremlins are showing up. Any suggestions on finding the issue? Thanks, George.

bcroe

Quote from: G.Lucas #25354
I have a generator light
it no longer shines. The car has been completely rewired

Certainly sounds like the complete rewire included some mis wiring. 
I would first make sure the battery is being properly charged, then
do a very careful check of all the related wiring, compared to the
original.  Bruce Roe

J. Gomez

Quote from: G.Lucas #25354 on December 02, 2021, 11:22:23 AM
I have a generator light on the dash that seems to work intermittently. When key is turned it use to light up and go out when car was started and flicker at low rpm. It no longer does this. I checked the bulb, it's fine. I left it out from the generator housing and saw that it was working and behaving normally. I placed it back into the socket and now it no longer shines. The car has been completely rewired, and all seemed to work well, now gremlins are showing up. Any suggestions on finding the issue? Thanks, George.

George,

If you follow the wiring diagram the "Brown" wire at the VR "G" terminal would provide a ground to light the "Charge Indicator" bulb, the "Pink wire at the socket is the "switched +12V".

Not sure what other troubleshooting have you done beside the visual inspection.

You can remove the "Brown" wire at the VR and clip it to a ground source (make sure is the smaller gauge wire, NOT the larger gauge that goes to the generator "A" terminal), turn the ignition switch "on" and see if the bulb energizes", if it does the wiring/bulb is fine. If there is no change then you will need to do more troubleshooting on the charging wiring section.

Also have you polarized the generator just as a validation.  ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082