News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Anyone own an original 1972 Eldorado Convertible

Started by The Tassie Devil(le), November 26, 2021, 06:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

As the heading states, I am looking for anyone that owns an original 1972 Cadillac Eldorado, and hopefully built around October 1971.

I need information from that car, as every one I have found, has had their carpet replaced.   The information I need is obtainable without any dismantling of the car in any way.

My previous request identified that the Calais Series had Loop Pile carpet, and the rest Cut Pile.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Bruce,

What is it you're looking for? I have several '72 references that may be helpful.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Ralph,

I need to know the depth of the carpet pile in the main carpet, and the pile type, be it loop or cut.

Using a Vernier, softly pushing the shaft into the carpet to the backing on both the main and side pieces, plus the pieces at the back of the front seat base will do beautifully.

Plus a picture of the drivers heel pad, and the sewn seam end just in front of the front seat belt retractor.

Here are some pictures.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bruce,

You phrased the question correctly the first time. You need first observation information from the actual carpet. I can only offer published data.

Sorry,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

fishnjim

carpets could be special ordered in '72, so depends what car you look at.   
The order info says: a fine yarn, all nylon, cut pile carpet called Trianon is used.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jim,

Oh boy, that is what I need.

No wonder people who have contacted me have differing styles and pile depths.

My car is a fully-optioned vehicle, so I would think that whoever ordered it simply ticked off all the top-of-the-line bits.

Now to find out what Trianon was.

Thanks,

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

Bruce, I gave you the info already. It seems that you are not convinced! Same carpet for both car's lines. Same material and no option as far as I could see. Or this option is not in the '72 data book!
On the other side, previous exterior paints could be had ; there is a listing into that book.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Roger,

Yes, I understand, but, I have conflicting information from 3 people with original vehicles, and even though two have had their cars reupholstered, One had Cut Pile, another Loop Pile, (the shorter type pile) and the other had his replaced with a single piece of Cut Pile carpet to match his original pile, when the originals had two-piece carpets.

My car, and a '71 Convertible that I stripped, with original side carpeting had Cut Pile carpeting, and looking closely at my own car, the carpet appears to be totally original, including the side pieces on the door, front seat backs, and quarter trim.

Plus, I remember that my 1972 Eldorado Coupe, which sadly I didn't take that many up close and informational pictures, I do remember it having extremely plush cut-pile carpeting.   This car was also a fully-optioned vehicle with TrackMaster, and even a power Sun Roof.

From what Jim Bozin just wrote, his information hints at carpet options were available on the order form in 1972.

I think I am just going to stay with the carpet I have, as it is still in good condition, and just order the Sandalwood Fawn from ACC just to complete the front seat upholstery, and then I can drive my car in greater comfort with the wife being allowed to adjust her seat to her needs.   40/60 seats are wonderful.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

My carpet is still the original one, same material as yours. When I did some work on the car, I found a label under the carpet, on the driver side, when the door sill was removed; who knows, you may have it too! This is the first attachment. The second piece of paper on this attachment was found under the side trim, driver side.
As I wrote, I found no option in the data book for the carpet. However, something is interesting at the second attachment: at the bottom of the form, there is "special requests". There is a case with Carpet, but I totally ignore if this for the material or just for another color as a deviation from the standard trim code.
If your own carpet is in a good shape, why replace it?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks for the latest reply, as I too found a piece of paper when I was stripping my seats down, and it is very similar to yours.

Your posting yours reminded me of my piece.

If only I had a copy of the actual order sheet.

Off to bed now.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

V63

I echo roger, "roger that" 🤣....only one carpet available for ELDORADO. It was a cut pile. Loop was Calais.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Okay, I think I have it now.

Thanks to all that supplied the information.

Looking at my own car, I believe that it left the factory as a fully-optioned vehicle, and when I purchased it in 2007, it had been repainted once, and a replacement roof fitted in the same colour as original, but in Hartz Canvas, and not vinyl.

The interior appears to be original in everything, but the Carpet is a deeper Pile than the vertical pieces, but of the same construction.

My main carpet will remain, as will the doors, rear quarter and trash box, but I have to find a close replacement for the bottom back of the front seats.

The seat upholstery wasn't salvageable, as it was cracked, split, and generally worn out and abused, but now I have replaced it with the same colour Leather, but will be treating it with a good Leather conditioner.

PS.   The only option missing was the front and rear Shoulder Seat Belts, but I have corrected that omission with Retractable one-piece Lap/Sash Belts in the outer seating positions.

PPS.   Doing this reupholstering, I have found that there was so many differences between the '71 and '72 that I should write a book about them.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

V63

I have noticed with all new cars in shades of grey or tan 🤦🏻‍♂️
the availability of aftermarket carpet is following.
Did you know you cannot buy replacement 'cut pile' (Like Cadillac used) in red, for example, anymore?
At least that's the case in a large upholstery outlet that sells to the Local trade.  Dark maroon still available. Colors are reduced to bare minimum. Can not order either.
They do offer a horrific 'neon red'  in a velour type carpet 🤢.