News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

These Chevrons need the studs repaired

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, November 29, 2021, 05:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I picked these up on eBay....I think they were $40 for the set...

Is there a fairly easy way to repair the missing studs?....

Remember I'm not Roger Zimmerman...I'm more of a ball peen hammer and chisel kind of guy... :)

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Mike,

As they are so thin, and with the wonderful adhesives that are available these days, I wouldn't have a problem with carefully trimming the broken threads down, and glue some brass threads to the backs of them.

But, as there is some length still there, you could carefully drill into the back of them, without going all the way through, and gluing a short length of thread in the holes.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

harvey b

if they were mine i would us a 2 sided tape,apply he tape and trim it real close to the edge of them.it would save drilling holes in the fenders. harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Mike,

My first instinct was to epoxy a new threaded stud. Then I rembered some new tricks that I learned working on newer cars. Tape! harvey b called it first. There are newer 3M tapes that are used on modern cars that will hold for a long, long time.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

fishnjim

Need to find out what they're made of before attempting any repair.  Not familiar with the year/parts shown.   Looks like some cast marks, and some severe pitting, may need a re-dip too.   I suspect since they deteriorated, they're probably pot metal maybe aluminum. which can be repaired.   The steel fasteners cause dissimilar metal corrosion and once they thin, trying to remove them, they twist off.  (common issue to remember when removing trim.)
There are people that repair trim pieces, so may be another option to trim adhesives, but your $40 may costs hundreds in the end.   
I doubt any high strength filled epoxy would be helpful as you'd have to build up around the break and then may not fit back in the hole. ie, fix the pin but ruin the part.

ps; I posted a linked several days ago for "easy chrome" so might be an option after surface correction for the appearance issues vs rechrome.

kkarrer

My advice is to leave the studs in place.  Fill the concave area in the back of the chevron with a two part epoxy or body filler.  Sand the epoxy fill down until you have a surfact that is level with the outer edge of the metal part.  Get some 3m two sided tape and affix it to the area that you filled and sanded.  Put the parts in place on the fenders using the studs as a guide.  The two sided tape will hold fine, but if you want you can use some two part ribbon epoxy (often used for gas tanks) on the inside of the fender where the studs protrude.  I've done similar repairs like this one and they worked out just fine.
Ken Karrer
CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon  #15848 on November 29, 2021, 05:40:28 PM

Remember I'm not Roger Zimmerman...I'm more of a ball peen hammer and chisel kind of guy... :)

Mike, thanks for the compliment! I would dare to drill them, but the 3M two sided tape is much more the way to go!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dn010

Would the tape not damage the paint should these need to be removed?
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

signart

I use and recommend 3M VHB (Very High Bond) tape for a permanent bond. It is a very thin dark gray foam double sided tape and can be used anywhere indoors or out to replace rivets or screws.
It won't damage paint, but removal could pull paint that's non oe on a repaint that's not prepped well (Heat helps). It will leave some foam & adhesive if you should separate the applied surface and whatever you are attaching to it. It can be cleaned up
I use this almost every day in the sign business, and I concur with Mr. Karrer's comments above. They will not fall off or become loose if both surfaces are clean and oil free.

I applied the Coupe de Ville script to my series 62 with the VHB tape about 15 yrs. ago just because...I like it.

Art D. Woody

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks gentlemen for the input....

I would really like to use nuts and bolts but, this too fine a drilling process for me....

Friends in the body shop business around here told me you'd be surprised at how new fenders and trim are held on with just adhesives and tape.....I guess nuts & bolts are too expensive....labor & material...

I'll go with the tape and maybe a dab of epoxy adhesive on the back to hold them on the car....years from now when somebody does the repaint, they'll just have to pry them off....

I just hope they don't fall off....it's easier to replace that Hyundai badge then these Chevrons....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon  #15848 on December 01, 2021, 07:24:10 AM
Friends in the body shop business around here told me you'd be surprised at how new fenders and trim are held on with just adhesives and tape.....I guess nuts & bolts are too expensive....labor & material...    Mike   
The reason for this is that there is far less manufacturing to make the parts, plus, different models require different holes for different badges.   Plus, plastic is a lot lighter than diecast.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

David King (kz78hy)

The tapes work well and there is process to use them.  Alcohol wipe first to remove andy oils and clean, place part, tricky if no locating feature, and wet-it and cure.  Read the directions and follow them and it will be fine.

Since I represent manufacturing in GM general assembly, as a rule, we hate tape.  Only rivets, and glue can cause more grief than tape.

It is true there are hardly any studs and nuts used as those are hard to get at and labor intensive.  Clips are the preferred method and pin in pocket locating is best.  Pin on part and hole in panel to establish a 4 way and 2 way locator to make a fast, accurate, and quality installation.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: David King  (kz78hy) on December 01, 2021, 06:30:10 PM
Since I represent manufacturing in GM general assembly, as a rule, we hate tape.  Only rivets, and glue can cause more grief than tape.   
I would have thought that the manufacturers probably wouldn't really care about what happens after the warranty period runs out.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 01, 2021, 08:17:06 PM
I would have thought that the manufacturers probably wouldn't really care about what happens after the warranty period runs out.

Bruce,

Sevice is considered, but taped parts are prone to issues during the vehicle build and subsequent early warrant claims for quality issues.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I found some of these thread extenders and also a roll of that 2 sided 3M tape....

The thread extenders are 1/2" long and an 8-32 thread

The short stubs of these Chevrons that I screwed on the extenders on may melt away after the chroming process....that's a wait and see.....hopefully a combination of the tape and the extenders will do the trick....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Jim Stamper

I believe my chevrons have all been made of stainless, ease out any dents, sand any marks away and buff the stainless. Done, I don't think they were ever chrome plated. Anyone ?

Tape works. I would probably prepare the inside of the chevron (clean and rough a bit for tooth. Flatten the spots for the flathead stainless screws. Position with a tiny bit of double sided tape on the screw heads to keep them upright and in place and then fill, or nearly fill the cavity with epoxy. The screws are forever in place and stainless screws will be around a long time.

If you don't have the holes, someone can poke the holes out through a piece of paper on a fender for a  positioning template for you, with reference measurements. Jim Stamper CLC#13470

79 Eldorado

Mike,
If the studs are pigeon toed be very careful that they're still possible to assemble. As an example picture a flat Chevron and a flat mounting surface. As you move the chevron closer the center-line of the pins change with respect to each other. I guess it doesn't matter if the plan is to assemble the extender from the inside surface but you mentioned surviving the plating.

Scott

toybox

Hi Mike , I would suggest you go to the Steel rubber web page and watch the video on replacing belt line weather stripping.  I used this method for trim on my 46  and after three years and 1300 miles it's still solid.    Tim