News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Retraction of my "endorsement"

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, December 04, 2021, 05:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I know it is improper to "bad mouth" any vendor or person on this forum, but I have spent countless keyboard clicks endorsing Rock Auto and their AC Delco rebuilt AC compressors. I promoted them and have used their units for years, even though I have about 15 "Greg Built" A-6 compressors on my shelf.
I bought one in July for a little over $200 with tax and shipping and installed it. The old one which was the original on my 75 had blown the seal, and since R-414b is no longer financially feasable, I went back to R-12 on this car.  On Dec 1 of this year with about 1150 miles on the compressor the clutch decided to grenade itself, scoring up the pulley face badly.
No big deal, I have a couple clutch/pulley assemblies so a change out was easy without having to pull the compressor itself.
I tried to contact Rock Auto to let them know of my displeasure, and after striking out on the automated return format with no contact information for complaints I am officially withdrawing my endorsement of "factory rebuilt" AC Delco A-6 compressors.
My apologies to all those I might have misled.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

We had had good luck with the Four Seasons brand from Amazon
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Thanks Brian
I think If and when I need another A-6 I'll use one that I personally rebuilt. It does seem that Rock auto has gotten quite impersonal without even a phone number for customer service
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Big Fins

With 15 or so on the shelf, why not use one of your own built units? I know I would. If they are sitting there waiting to be sold, a beneficiary may reap the benefits before you do. Or all of that hard work will go to scrap.

That's along the same lines of dropping in a Jasper engine when you have one that's freshly built by you on a stand.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

fishnjim

I think people will understand that things change over time.   And you don't always have that same "glorious" experience the other person had.  Sometime growth/growing pains happen.   Lot's of people post asking for recommendations, but that's self serving, not doing your homework.
We trade convenience for other things, quality, security, etc. when it's online.

TJ Hopland

I'm thinking its been several years since rock has had people you could actually talk to.   

Maybe for cars that are less than 10 years old AC delco could mean something other than a blue box but its been my experience over the last several years that you are just paying more for the box and in most cases getting the identical crappy part as every other brand.   Its even been a while since I have even seen them to print any sort of branding or even any kind of part number on the parts themselves, its literally just the box. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wheikkila

Sadly buying parts is a snapshot of that moment. Because parts are only as good as the person who built them. Rock Auto just like every other auto parts store gets there parts from someone. I have been using the same Auto and Electric place to rebuild my starters, alternators and generators for 40 years. The gentleman that did them all those years was Johnny. I dropped off a starter and Generator the other day and found out Johnny had retired. Now they have a young gentleman doing the rebuilds. He admitted he had a lot to live up to. Only time will tell if his work will be the same.
                   Thanks Wayne     

John,
Retirement often finds us in strange moods.  A year or so back I got interested in rebuilding all the compressor "cores" that I had saved over the years, since brand new compressors were something like $50.00 in 1972 and they did not want the cores.  Most of the compressors cores had nothing but bad shaft seals and at $50.00 (no freight since they were available at my local parts wholesaler), it was more "time effective" to just replace the compressor.
Fast forward to current times.  In something like 1990 I started collecting what I knew to be soon unavailable compressor internal parts. Using some of them and selecting good parts from the core stash I rebuilt something like 20 A-6's. A few of which soon found new homes and the rest are on the shelf.
Up until the time the (then) latest  failure, I had complete faith in the AC Delco rebuilts and had blinders on when it came to replacing it. The prrevious one I bought was for something lie $100.00 so I went directly to Rock Auto to order it. Without paying too much attention to the numbers on the screen I purchased the unit, only noticing the actual total when I got the e-mail confirmation back.  I don't know why I did not cancel the order but I did not, which brings us to date.
I have learned something important.
I thought I was wrong once but found out I was mistaken
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Big Fins

I just went through the Fleetwood when I bought it and 90% of the parts came from Rock Auto. I made a huge list of everything, then placed the order. It came in a multitude of boxes over a week. I bought OEM where I could, aftermarket when I had too. So far, no complaints on any of the parts fit or finish, except for the water pump.

Because it fits so many years, it seemed to be designed more for the 500 class of engine with a single belt. I had to shim the crank pulley out 5/16" to keep the inner drive belt from rubbing the lower hose casting.

I've put nearly 2000 miles on that car since I bought it with not even a hiccup. The 42oF A/C system was a gift. The rest works exactly as it is supposed too. 
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

hornetball

Had a similar experience with an AC Delco blower motor with blower wheel.  It was simply not the correct part.  Put that one away, since it is correct for my C4 Corvettes.  Ordered a no-name motor that came in a "Made in Vietnam" box.  Perfect fit and blows like a champ.  So . . . dunno'.

I have lucked into a lot of "Made in USA" NOS parts from Rock Auto (they act as a clearing house for old stock).  Ironically, the NOS parts are almost stupid-cheap since Rock Auto gets them for practically nothing -- but those parts are drying up.  I agree, "AC Delco" doesn't seem to mean much anymore.

35-709

The water pump problem crops up because the earlier 2 belt AC systems used a different pump with different (more) clearance for the inner belt but the parts houses do not make any distinction between the two.  As far as they are concerned all 472/500 water pumps are the same.  You can (or could at one time) order a new pump for your earlier (pre-single belt) set up but would always get the later version.  Someone here, a while ago, had a source for new pumps for the 2 belt system, maybe a search will find that post.
I solved my clearance problem by ordering a rebuilt early pump for my '73 and got the correct pump that way.  Kept my old pump for future rebuild and use.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I've done so much business with Rock Auto I wanted to list them as a dependent on my taxes.
Never saw a way to talk to a person there, all digital.
And I've only had 1 bad experience (with shocks).
Still my 'go to' parts store if NAPA doesn't have the same part in stock locally.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Big Fins

Quote from: 35-709 on December 05, 2021, 03:54:57 PM
The water pump problem crops up because the earlier 2 belt AC systems used a different pump with different (more) clearance for the inner belt but the parts houses do not make any distinction between the two.  As far as they are concerned all 472/500 water pumps are the same.  You can (or could at one time) order a new pump for your earlier (pre-single belt) set up but would always get the later version.  Someone here, a while ago, had a source for new pumps for the 2 belt system, maybe a search will find that post.
I solved my clearance problem by ordering a rebuilt early pump for my '73 and got the correct pump that way.  Kept my old pump for future rebuild and use.

Like I always do if no core charge is levied, I put it in the garbage. I noticed the fit a few days after the old pump was long in the landfill.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

cadillacmike68

Quote from: hornetball on December 05, 2021, 03:41:58 PM
Had a similar experience with an AC Delco blower motor with blower wheel.  It was simply not the correct part.  Put that one away, since it is correct for my C4 Corvettes.  Ordered a no-name motor that came in a "Made in Vietnam" box.  Perfect fit and blows like a champ.  So . . . dunno'.

I have lucked into a lot of "Made in USA" NOS parts from Rock Auto (they act as a clearing house for old stock).  Ironically, the NOS parts are almost stupid-cheap since Rock Auto gets them for practically nothing -- but those parts are drying up.  I agree, "AC Delco" doesn't seem to mean much anymore.

Get a FlowMaster water pump. It's more efficient and has the proper casting for out pre-1973 dual pulley setups.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

71 Fleetwood

and sometimes it's the little things.  The gasket is 49 cents.  Shipping is $4.  Rock Auto sends orders from different warehouses A-B-C-D-E and they each charge separately.  grrr.
1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham

Just had a follow up e-mail communication with Rock Auto.  Their final response was since you fixed our defective product there is no warrantee so "go away little boy".  I guess I might.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

EAM 17806

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on December 04, 2021, 08:07:06 PM
Thanks Brian
I think If and when I need another A-6 I'll use one that I personally rebuilt. It does seem that Rock auto has gotten quite impersonal without even a phone number for customer service
Greg Surfas
I NEVER buy from Rock Auto since they are so impersonal with no Customer Service to be able to talk to them reference to their products; there are too many other good sellers around to be concerned with a company like they are.   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on December 06, 2021, 11:59:18 AM
Just had a follow up e-mail communication with Rock Auto.  Their final response was since you fixed our defective product there is no warrantee so "go away little boy".

Yup - rightly or wrongly that's pretty much how it works in the warranty world. I know firsthand that eBay will not allow a buyer to return any item once it has been tampered with in any way after the item was received  - even if the "tampering" improved the condition of the item. It will result in the item being deemed "altered" and will void any rights the buyer had to return the purchase for a refund.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Eric
What I was suggesting to them was to just send me a new clutch for the one I replaced. In reality their cost would probably been less than the freight for a replacement A-6. Really strange (IMHO) response in this day of super competition along with the fact that my annual purchase with them are (were) considerable
Greg Surfas

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

The multi warehouse thing gets me a lot too usually just like mentioned above were you need a cheap gasket to make the main part work but its at a different location so its going to cost like $15.    There are a lot of times I will change brands to try and not make shipping so much. 

An odd thing is I swear there are times I try to get it all from one spot but give up and all the sudden both the original parts are coming from the same location.  Its almost like they try to spread it out but when they sense you may be about to give up and go elsewhere they finally make it appear the way you want.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason