News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Couple of things that make life a little easier

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, December 04, 2021, 06:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Baillargeon #15848

When I exercise my cars I like to stop and get a coffee for the road....

It's hard to hold a coffee and drive at the same time especially with the standard transmission....so, I always take a small tool box with me just in case we need a small adjustment when I'm out on the road...

I cut an old plastic coffee can in half and screwed the bottom part to the top of that plastic tool box....I put the box on the passenger front floor, so it's easy to reach the cup.....haha....what ah ya think?.... 8)

The other thing is....I use chock blocks around the garage because there is an ever so slight slope away from the building....I hate when these big boys start to roll, especially when you thought the parking brake was going to hold....

As I get older I don't like to bend over to put the chock block behind the tire and then bend back over and remove the block when not in use.....I saw these blocks with a handle attached but, the handle goes straight up and they hit the quarter panel of every car I use them on....

I went to the home center and picked up some 1" plastic pipe, some pvc glue and wah-la....chock block goes under the tire and the handle doesn't touch the quarter panel....I was able to do 2 handles for less than $20.....what ah think?.... 8)

You can tell I'm between projects....Idle hands are not a good thing....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Big Fins

In your case, an idle mind coupled with idle hands are a good thing.  :)

I like the wheel chock idea! Simple yet very useful and the PVC really can't do much damage if it should touch the car.

Do like the '58 and that '70 Fleetwood could keep my '69 company anytime.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

59-in-pieces

Mike.

"what ah ya think?.... 8)"

I think that necessity is the mother of invention AND of millionaires.

Very clever of you, since I suffer from the same ailments - the floor keeps getting further away and hard to get down to, and even harder to get back up from.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

71 Fleetwood

Great inventions Mike.  Now do this one, I need a bungee lift to take me to the floor and back up again like the mechanic in Road Warrior.
1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on December 05, 2021, 11:29:32 AM
Mike.

"what ah ya think?.... 8)"

I think that necessity is the mother of invention AND of millionaires.

Very clever of you, since I suffer from the same ailments - the floor keeps getting further away and hard to get down to, and even harder to get back up from.

Have fun,
Steve B.

Thanks Steve....your right, that gravity thing is a nasty mistress....I'm thinking of that extension cord wrapped around my feet and I start to fall.....That concrete floor comes up fast and hits real hard....

And getting back up!...that's a whole other story!.....

The 2 post lifts were nice when I was younger....It was easy to get down on the floor to swing those lift arms and position them under the frame.....now I'm thinking the 4 post lifts are the way to go......drive up on the ramps, get out of the car, push the button and lift the car up....No painful gravity involved.....

I like Richard's bungee cord idea....hanging over those big fenders changing points and spark plugs but,....flying around the shop like Tom Cruise would get scary...haha...

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon