News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Now I've done it!!! 1941 60S

Started by Way2nutz, December 07, 2021, 11:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Way2nutz

New to the world of Cadillacs. But dove in head first.

I'll try and shorten up the story.

Today we bought a project I've been familiar with since the 70's. 

Longtime funny car team owner/ Speed shop owner Jim Green of Edmonds Washington started a Concours level restoration on this 60S and was mothballed in the 80's.  He passed a couple of years ago. 

The chassis is done top to bottom, front to back.  Every piece of brightwork has been polished/replated by premier plating company MasterCraft out of Seattle.  Body work and paint thus far are perfection on a super low mile rust free car. 

Soooo..now the 'mod' part.  It is completely setup of a big block chev and built 700R trans. 

Being the machinist he is, he documented the reconstruction of every piece of 41 drivetrain he retained.  He felt the stock diff was capable of handling up to 400hp if treated 'nicely'  All gears, spiders, axles were magnufluxed as were most all suspension components.  In short, definitely a different type of build. Every piece of the suspension that would ever need replacing has been, mainly with NOS parts. The oak door sills they did are pure artwork.

I have a huge Rubbermaid tub of handwritten notes, reciepts, and diagrams but figure I'll still nee the expertise of you folks for identifying parts and pieces!

Thanks in advance for your patience!!
The owner that picked it up from Jim tried selling it on Marketplace with two pics and a vague write up.  When I recognized it, and saw it again in person it had to come home.

I've built a handful of high end streetrods over the years and am kind looking forward to this 'restoration with punch'   I'll do my ten Hail Marys and beg for forgiveness to the devout restoration gods.

James Landi

I  add my two cents with some degree of tripidation and apology, as I am certain my suggestion will be offensive to some members.   I've seen a couple of very sophisicated early 50's restorations that include most of the modern conveniences added  --- these examples include power steering, brakes, and air conditioning, so that being a passenger or driver in the car will be comfortable and quiet and not limited to a narrow weather window. I subscribe to the notion that Cadillac and comfort are synonymous, and with your huge investment of sweat equity, you should not consign yourself of sweating.  As you already indicate, you're already "over the line" for pure authenticity, so adding convenience options in a way that does not detract from the overall design and visual aspects seem to be a moderate middle path to take.   And congratulations on what will be a wonderful finished project... it's beautiful.   James

35-709

Have to assume you are not going to drag race a car like that, so why not keep it all Cadillac and drop a '60 - '62 390 Cadillac engine in it (or 472/500 if you really need that much grunt).   Put 3 deuces on it (the 390) from Edelbrock for eye candy and a little extra punch --- adapters to run the 700R4 are readily available.

I have a '35 resto-mod with a 472/700R4 combination and all the modern comforts and it is a lovely, comfortable, long distance car.  See my avatar.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

harry s

Welcome and congratulations on your acquisition. I can appreciate the driveability and comfort approach but must agree with 35-709 about keeping the pedigree pure. Especially in light of the choices of Cadillac engines. Keep us posted whichever way you decide to go.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Way2nutz

The original drivetrain is long gone. To tear out the existing artwork like mounts to stick with a pedigree which in the end is irrelevent as its still a much modified drive train isnt a realistic goal. Modified is modified.   :)

I've never been a proponent of Ford in Ford  etc.  In the world of modified cars, alls fair.   And being a Chev fan for longer than dirt kind of clinches it for me.  Well, that and a 502 big block chev sitting the corner of the garage ads to the decision. as well as sticking with the original builders vision, which means a lot, as he was a Pacific Northwest racing legend and a freind.  The big block will be outfitted with 429 caddy script valve covers, oil bath appearing air cleaner, paint etc so to the vast majority of the world will assume its cad powered and original.

35-709

;)  Thumbs up!  Keep us posted on your progress and please post pictures as you move along with it!

Chevy in a Ford doesn't bother me.  Saw a beautifully restored and modified '49 Cadillac Sedanette (fastback) several years ago at the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona, it was for sale and I drooled as I walked up to the car!  Looking under the hood, I had to think a moment about what I was seeing  :o --- a 460 Lincoln engine --- with the Lincoln C-6 as it turned out.  Been seeing Chevys in Fords, etc., since I was a teenager (I'm 79), but I had never, before or since, seen a Ford in a GM vehicle, not that some don't exist, I imagine.  Guy said, "make me an offer", I allowed as how I would be too embarrassed to show it to my friends and moved on.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Caddy Wizard

One suggestion: if going with newer Chevy drivetrain for reliability, power, serviceability, etc., you might want to do an EFI setup instead of a carb.  It will give better driveability with greater reliability.  The EFI kits now are essentially electronic carburetors and do a very fine job while still looking appropriate under the hood of a street rod or a vintage Cadillac.

Just a suggestion...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

harry s

...I agree the BB Chev sitting in the corner does it. We have a local CLC member with a BB Chev with Cadillac script valve covers in a 1959 Cad convertible that gets plenty of love. Keep us posted on your progress.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Way2nutz

I am definitely give serious thought to FI.  The stand alone systems have come along ways.

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Mark,

I faintly remember seeing this car on a club tour of Jim Green's shop many years ago.  There is plenty of local expertise in 41-60S's if you are in the Seattle area.  I have two 40-60S's so may be able to help on some but if not can lead you to who can.  Contact is brad@ipsengarage.com
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Way2nutz

Brad, thanks for the info!   

We're just north of Wenatchee these days, but still a lot of connections to 'the dark side'.

Yes, this poor thing has been under construction for over for almost 50 years.  The first time Jim showed it to me was probably 1977.  Then saw it a few times over the years.  I think 'life' got in the way, and it wasnt a priority any longer.

As was his style, the workmanship is over the top.  The only real stumbling blocks I can see will be identifying the bazillion parts he collected over the years. 

jwwseville60

Nice car!

Four mechanic friends and myself experimented with aftermarket EFI.
We all put carbs and return fuel lines with electric pumps back on.
EFI is not developed properly with enough sensors.
If you are a trained mechanic then maybe its OK for you.
Just my FYI.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

wheikkila

I purchased my first FI system in the late 80's. It was a Holly Pro Injection system. I installed it on a 67 Camaro with a 350 and standard 3 speed. It had a little box with 4 or 5 adjustments. I set it up using a dyno and a four gas analyzer. It didn't pull out of the hole as hard as a carb. But, It had a steady pull. But, for overall driving, there was no comparison between the FI and the carb. After that car, all my cars had a FI system on them. The La Salle is may first car in a long time i'm not going to install a FI. If they made a small unit I might try it.
                                   Thanks Wayne             

fishnjim

Looks closer to done than I first thought.   
I'm glad you're going to tackle this and fulfill this guy's dream posthumously.   
If you bought it right and have the energy to "git-r-done" you'll have a special piece worth some good value.   Don't skimp.   Good luck, hope to be around for the final post.