News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

‘47 Cadillac Fleetwood Front Wheel Questions

Started by isuras2, December 13, 2021, 06:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isuras2

What type of gasket/seal goes between the front brake backing plate and spindle?
Also, is the "grease retainer" the same as a wheel seal?
R. Swerczek
'47 Fleetwood Sixty Special

toybox

Hello, I just did my kingpins on my series 1946 61 and did not see any kind of seal or sealer . It was just a very tight machine fit.   Tim

isuras2

R. Swerczek

Roger Zimmermann

According to the parts list, there is one: 1941-56, #1437917, gasket, front brake backing plate to steering knuckle.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Daryl Chesterman

QuoteAlso, is the "grease retainer" the same as a wheel seal?

I would say yes, they are the same thing.  The grease retainer or wheel seal goes into the brake drum hub and does just what the names say, retains the grease inside the hub and seals out dust and debris from the bearings.  NAPA shows the front seal as being an SKF 19940, which looks quite a bit different from what you show in your second picture, unless the metal portion of the seal is still in the hub?

https://www.amazon.com/SKF-19940-Grease-Seals/dp/B000EPR5O0

If you have the seal part number from your Master Parts List (MPL), you can take that number to your local parts jobber or bearing dealer, and have them interchange it for the correct replacement seal.

Daryl Chesterman

isuras2

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on December 17, 2021, 08:21:32 AM
According to the parts list, there is one: 1941-56, #1437917, gasket, front brake backing plate to steering knuckle.

Where do I find a parts list?
R. Swerczek

Roger Zimmermann

Search on eBay. Some are originals (costly), some are reprints. Faxon auto literature has that: https://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1941-1947-Cadillac-Parts-Book-Reprint-2-Volume-Set
By the way, the part number I gave is for the thin paper gasket like seen on your picture. The grease seal is something different, it's installed into the hub.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101