News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Should it stay or should it go? '67 Deville

Started by buck0wens, December 12, 2021, 02:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck0wens

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on what to do with my '67 De ville restore project. I was really into this car when I bought it and still like it a lot but I'm totally out of the loop at this point as far as demand and price of these fabulous cars.

I bought the car about 20 years ago when I was young and dumb(er). Spent $10k on the mechanical parts of it when I first got it and drove it around rat style on weekends for a few years. I've been dragging it from place to place and it's time to make a decision about what to do with the old girl. Most of the work was done over the first 3 years I had it and it's been sitting undriven except to get emissions done until about 5 years ago ... I have started it a few times since then but the accelerator pump is gone so it didn't get done often.

The good. Engine/trans were totally rebuilt by a reputable performance shop 20 years ago and have maybe 2k miles on them ... including the timing cover and rockers, hardened valve seats, custom ground cam, balance, etc. No expense spared. Installed a new brake system including all new lines with a front disk conversion using original parts from a 68. Front/rear suspension totally redone. Cooling system all replaced. Every single mechanical system except the rear end, electrical, fuel tank/supply lines and, vacuum was rebuilt or replaced. Did some electrical rewiring on the starter fusible links and ignition systems to for reliability but never dug into the other wires since everything worked. Last I checked, the AC (still r12) and heat was working but only had 1 fan speed.

The bad. Car has been in phoenix so floorboards and frame are great but there is quite a bit of rust under the trim around the back window and a little showing through the back of the front fenders on both sides. 2 dents. Has a nice rust patina going that might be appreciated by some I suppose. Interior including the dash is trashed but complete. I did an air bag conversion :'( but did it so the original suspension could be replaced easily ... I don't have the stock springs or shocks anymore. The air bags are deteriorating but functional ... the pressure switch is bad and the solenoids are sticking at high pressures. It would be pretty easy to fix for maybe $500 but the compressor was never mounted properly and is just laying around in the trunk and I never found a good place for the controls so they are sitting on the floor in front as well. I had to take out the front shocks to mount the airbags and never got around to figuring out a solution but was going to "weld some tabs somewhere" lol and never did. The engine shop put in a crane cams electronic ignition that isn't sold anymore (because it sucks) and the box either overheats because I'm feeding it 12 volts or it burns out the ballast resistor. I have a Petronix Ignitor III system for it but haven't put it in yet and the distributor will accept points still so I guess that's not a huge deal. Need a new spedo cable. Dipstick is broken of course. Turn signal switch doesn't stay engaged of course. The front lights on the battery side (probably both sides) all need to be rewired but I have new sockets for them. The engine has a tick in it but I'm not experienced enough to diagnose the source. The carb (Edelbrock Performer) was never properly jetted or adjusted and it starves for gas at WOT after about 10 seconds. The trunk lock cylinder is totally gone so I have to open the trunk with a long screwdriver right now. Only have 2 rims from a '68 so the rear rims/spare don't fit the front without hitting the calipers ... and the last straw, the gas tank just sprang a leak.

So what to do? I have people ask me all the time if it's for sale. I tell them 10K and it's yours and they understandably laugh at me but I think it has a lot of value to the right person. Can someone give me a ballpark of what it is actually worth? Is it worth finishing the restore? I feel like I'm underwater so I don't really want to spend even more money that I'm not going to get back but I feel like I need to do something before she deteriorates into an unfixable state. Did I mention my girlfriend HATES her? lol ... maybe a good reason to fix'r up  ;). If anyone is interested in making a reasonable offer, I can get some pics and I'd gladly listen. I have so much work into her, I'm not willing to sell it to some guy who happens to drive by for nothing but I'm considering parting with the old girl if it's going into good hand for a decent price.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback, support, or talking me off the cliff lol. Thank you for your time,

Buck

Scot Minesinger

Pictures will really help us help you.

Model please - is a convertible, Eldorado, Fleetwood and etc.?

Skimming thru your narrative, you have invested a lot.  Most of us are underwater on our hobby cars, you may be too.  If you like the car...
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

79 Eldorado

Buck,
Welcome to the forum.

When I read through what you wrote it seems like you've lost some love for it. I don't know the '67 very well but a friend had a Coupe Deville he sold recently and so I checked some cars for sale when he was selling; both Sedan Deville and Coupe Deville (I think both 2D and 4D versions are called Deville?). There's a wide range of "asks". I was surprised that there were several cars which presented themselves pretty well and were low priced; either sold in the last few years or were currently for sale.

You should post photos of yours but what you have going for you is the location. I'm sure your car is very solid. The bad is you started to modify things and didn't finish the modifications. When I look for something I prefer to start with something as original as possible (fewer "mysteries"). Another bad is that people cannot see what you've done to the engine and it's been sitting a long time. People also obviously see the interior. I suspect you would really need to find the right person to get what you're asking based on what I've seen.

If you do like it normally people do the interior last but the car sounds solid so maybe the normal program should change. Maybe you should focus on putting the suspension back to stock first. If that's not that difficult, based on your comments, it would seem it would make it more marketable. Once it's back to original you could drive it. It gives you more time to make the decision. Interior work is normally not that bad as long as you can find parts. If the suspension was corrected and interior sorted you would likely drive it more. Then it becomes something more interesting without raising as many questions about a 20yr old rebuild which has essentially just been sitting.

If you end-up liking it more you can decide on clearing the patina. Interior should be done last but I think the interior is both lowering the value and making it less enjoyable to drive.

I get too attached to everything. If you're getting over it and it's not the one special car you want anymore then maybe it's time to move on. If someone will do a nice job saving it maybe time to send it to the next owner.

Scott

buck0wens

Thanks for the replies.

Oops, it's just a plain 'ol vanilla sedan Deville.

To be clear, I'm not looking to get 10K out of it ... it's just a shame that it's sitting there and now that the gas tank has a leak, it's not going anywhere unless I get get rid of it or put some money in it.

79 Eldorado

For adding attachments there's a + Attachments and other options link under the reply window. You need to browse to attach and then attach additional below where you hit browse. It will say (more attachments)

I captured each for you...

wrench

It sounds like you are reaching for the EJECT handle on that thing.

I will say I do like the low rider stance of that sedan. It really works and that may be who is asking about the car..

Phoenix is close enough to the border where the paint and interior and remaining mechanical work can be done cheap.

I would put it on Craigslist for the price you want and then if someone offers anything close, take it.

Or keep it and press on with your vision. Just don't add up the receipts, as that is a sure buzz kill.

As for the girlfriend thing, did you ever see that Roadkill video Rat Rod vs Aventador where the two guys go around one in a rat Rod and the other in a supercar?

The ladies were digging on the rat Rod while the supercar was attracting fanbois.

I would post a link, but this is not the right forum for that level of enthusiast.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Scot Minesinger

A car that runs and drives is worth way more than one that does not.

If you deal with the gas tank and clean it up, advertising all the mechanical work, maybe 2k-4k or so (4k if ac works well).  Unfortunately the value in these cars is cosmetics.  If this car was low miles, original and perfect 25k would be top price.  To get this car to the 25k price level would cost way more than that.  As it sits right now it may be worth 1k or so.

Best of luck, hope you get what you want out of it.

Oh by the way, every past girl friend that expressed dislike for my cars never worked out.  I don't critique their cars, and Wow!, was there opportunity.  Hmmm, what is my opinion of a CRV?  There are a lot of girls out there that would think a mid 60's Cadillac is cool and want to get it going again.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Fins

If you have a yard or some other storage area, you may consider disassembling the car and parting it out. There are a lot of lovers of the 429 and that special transmission. Body panels, trim, etc...

Strip what you can especially of the replacement parts that you did and market them. Interior trim, door handles, window motors, right down to the brake drums and wheels. The rest, dare I say, will bring you a few $$ in scrap.  God, I'm going to be banned for that one.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

79 Eldorado

John,
Done thoroughly almost every car with little support from the aftermarket could be parted out for more than the assembled value. That's if you eventually able to find a buyer for everything. The effort to part-out isn't anywhere near the effort needed to list / ship and support all of the questions though. The hard to ship items are the worst. If you sell them on something like Craigslist you still need to be comfortable about having people come and pick-up parts.

It would be a shame to take an Arizona car, with probably close to perfect sheet metal, and part it. I get too attached to them to ever do what you suggested. I did find a perfectly undamaged, zero corrosion, shell of a '69 Camaro in a junkyard once. Every single nut and bolt had been removed. It was in a junkyard in California with "menu" prices. I guess there was a sad story behind it which I will never know.

Scott

signart

If it goes it will be trouble, if it stays it will be double. ;)
Art D. Woody