News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'75 Eldorado Speedometer Bounce and Buzz

Started by benji808, December 12, 2021, 08:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji808

Looking for a recommendation on which end to start at. Speedometer bounces a bit, and I hear a speed-related "buzz" sound that I'm pretty sure is speedo-related. I have replaced both upper and lower cables. Since I can hear the buzz, my guess is that the issue is on the Speedometer Head end, as opposed to the Cruise box, although I may end up pulling both and doing my best to clean/lubricate. Any tips or recommendations on what I should be looking for? Silicone lubricant in the speedo head, or use something different/stronger?

Thanks!
Benjamin

James Landi

If memory serves, many years ago, I had the same issue-- thought it was was cable, and it wasn't-- after that disappointment,  I was able to squirt some WD40 into the speedo head without removing the assembly.  There's likely enough play in the shaft and bearing to get some "juice" up there to lubricate what is, apparently, a dry bearing surface.  WOrth a try as it worked for me.  Hope this helps you,  James

benji808

Thanks, James! Always nice to have a "10 minute solution" to try before taking apart something major. I appreciate it!

Big Fins

I would use a dry liquid lubricant in a speedo head instead of WD-40. That stuff gums up after while. It's original intent was a water displacer and metal protectant. I know dry liquid doesn't make sense, but there are those out there that work great such as the PB Blaster brand, The Dry Lube. It contains PTFE's. It uses an instant drying carrier to distribute the lubricant.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille