News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Maintaining My Dad's 1948 Series 62 - Cleaning Product Recommendations?

Started by bonomatthew, December 10, 2021, 08:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonomatthew

Hi everyone - first post here.

Earlier this year, I had my dad's 1948 Series 62 shipped out to me from New Jersey to Indiana.  This car was his pride and joy and it always got the lone parking space in our garage while the rest of the family all parked in the driveway (including my 1990 Fleetwood).  After he passed away, my brothers and I decided we wanted to keep it i the family so now I'm doing everything I can to keep his legacy alive.  The car runs really well and is essentially all original (had to replace the fuel tank after it sat idle in the garage with old fuel for several years when my dad's health deteriorated).  It was a hit at its first car show this summer - I had no idea how rare it is to have an original classic without restoration.

The exterior is in great shape, with the exception of a couple small chips in the original lacquer paint.  I've been keeping it dry in the garage and keeping it from getting covered in dust.  I'm planning to spend time this winter cleaning the built up grease/grime that has deposited on the interior of the engine compartment.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good cleaning products that I could use that won't eat away at the paint?

35-709

Congratulations!  That is indeed a beauty! 
You will no doubt get lots of suggestions, I often use good old Mineral Spirits.  Big box lumber stores and hardware stores all have it, even Wal-Mart.  It is a little more expensive but I like the Odorless Mineral Spirits.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Be very careful around that stenciled ID number next to the radiator. That was done in the factory. It would be a shame to clean it off.

harry s

Yes that is indeed a beauty and a well preserved example of not often seen color combination. As far as cleaning material for the engine compartment I have had good luck with Simple Green diluted with water at about 1 part to 5 parts. Whatever you decide to use do a test in an out the way area. Your Dad would be proud!     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

wheikkila

On certain parts under the hood I use oven cleaner. It works better then any degreaser I have tried. I just spray in on let it sit a few minutes and raise it off. works well.
                  Thanks Wayne

fishnjim

I'd touch up those paint chips or at least keep them well waxed.   Good place for rust to go under the paint.
These are fairly rare vehicles, early post war.
Many ways to do this job.   Depend how bad it is, how aggressive need to be.   
I like to keep engine running and do it "warm/hot" so the water doesn't sit around and mess with the electricals.   
If just some "spots" then use spray cleaner and paper towels.   Start mild like windex and go stronger as needed, assisting with elbow grease/pads/wipes.  Use your regular car wash for just dirty areas, inner fenders, firewall, etc.  Large sponge.
Off the shelf products for this like Gunk, etc.   Mostly caustics so be careful.   Any pressure or steam/hot water cleaning would be good for heavy deposits, but loose paint will be lost.   I use the purple stuff and Dawn dish detergent for degreasing.     Put in a spray bottle, spray on, let it sit and wash off with water.   Repeat as needed.   
Any good detail shop can do this if you're worried.   Just do your homework on them.   
I also like to do some disassembly and clean the valve covers, air cleaner, etc. separate.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Speaking of the white SN lettering, somewhere in the mists of time, I heard that cars sent to the Cincinnati zone had the SN put there. As Indy was in that zone, I saw quite a few of them. (It may be a war story...I just saw the picture and decided to mention it.) This tidbit is from some fifty years ago.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

5390john

I would HIGHLY recommend looking over Griot's Garage website  www.griotsgarage.com
They make every type of cleaning product and supplies/tools for detailing.
They also have instructional books/videos.
Not cheap, but superior products and service.
Used nothing but for YEARS on my show winning '55
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Rossoroo

Here's my 2 cents worth,
Start with a mild detergent [dish detergent] and soft bristle brush and see how far that gets you. I would worry that some of the harsher detergents or solvents would weaken the finish that is already very old and dry. That serial number stencil is very cool be careful to preserve that.
49-6269 My First Caddy

Big Fins

Whatever cleaners that you use, make sure that a pressure washer ISN'T one of them.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

jwwseville60

Stunning!

A good dust mop once a month will save you many washes.
After a wash & dry with microfiber towels, a good shop fan to dry it all quickly with windows open is a good idea.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Big Fins

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille