News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

FWD Eldorado ride quality

Started by CadzRcool, December 18, 2021, 04:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadzRcool

Hi-
   My first post on the forums! I used to own one of my favorite cars, a 1976 Eldorado convertible. Such a beautiful car, but I was disappointed with the ride quality of the FWD compared to other RWD Cadillacs I had owned. Even after I completely rebuilt the front end, the ride quality was just not the best. Not nearly as smooth as RWD. Lots of squeaks and rattles in the car. Have other convertible owners had similar experiences? I've been thinking about buying another Eldorado, but a hardtop this time. I was wondering if there is any noticeable difference in the ride quality between an Eldorado convertible versus an Eldorado hardtop?

The Tassie Devil(le)

The major differences are in the solid body of the Coupe, as against the flexibility of the Convertible, and the Coupes' ability to keep out the external noises.

I had a '72 Eldorado Coupe back in the '80's, and that was head and shoulders above the current '72 Convertible I have now in handling, quietness and comfort.   BUT, the Coupe  lacks the "Wow Factor".

With the Coupe, the radio and 8 track was perfect at any speed, but virtually a waste of time in the Convertible, even with the roof up, unless crawling along.   With the roof down, once moving, the road and wind noise drowns out everything.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   One reason I am seriously looking into creating a removeable hard top, but my age and health will now put a dent in that idea.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

I, like others here have both, as noted in my signature line. They are both entirely different cars. The ride quality, the handling, the options, which are pretty much the same and the power.

The ElDorado has more of a sport type driving feeling, maybe because of the front wheel drive, the torsion bars, the weight differential, I don't know. It's a very different car to the '69 Fleetwood. Both have a like engine, 3 speed transmissions, similar final drives and very close to the same interiors, comfort wise.

The convertible is noisier, stiffer riding, better economy and just a different all around car.

The Fleetwood, while near the same weight, is quiet, 'floats' better, maybe due to 50+ year old shocks, corners about the same with more body roll and responds with much more power.

Don't try to make a comparison with a RWD car. They are both complete and totally differing cars. Accept both for what they are...Cadillacs.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

KOKNEYELDO

I bought a pair of color matching 75 Eldo convertible and coupe from an "older" couple in 1990 at a great price, sold the coupe (that  looked like nobody had even been in the back seats).

For the price I paid for both and what I sold the coupe for I virtually got one for free.

The bad thing was the guy that bought the coupe totaled it in a DUI in under 6 months.

When I bought them they were in good condition and after time the convertible needed restoring.

If you want sun on your face, hair in the wind and more heads turned you must buy a convertible.

I have a Bose mobile speaker sitting on the dash and it is loud enough with the top down at 70mph.
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

79 Eldorado

Quote from: CadzRcool on December 18, 2021, 04:32:02 PM
... 1976 Eldorado convertible. Such a beautiful car, but I was disappointed with the ride quality of the FWD compared to other RWD Cadillacs I had owned. Even after I completely rebuilt the front end, the ride quality was just not the best. Not nearly as smooth as RWD. Lots of squeaks and rattles in the car....
Not arguing with the above comments but I wouldn't rule out something out of normal. You mentioned ride quality and squeaks and rattles. Those might be separate issues:

Ride quality: I don't have as much experience with the large generation but I've been a passenger in one of the big convertibles and I have a lot of experience improving the feel of the next generation. If the ride quality is a boat-like feel or worse a circular "orbital steering" feel first making certain the idler arm was adjusted correctly is vital. Next shock choice and making certain the end links and mounts on the sway bar are correct and in good condition can make a substantial difference.

Squeaks and rattles: Those are vibration related. You need to find the cause. They could be caused by the way it rides but it could be something else: Engine, out of balance tire, bent rim.

Maybe there's another member in your area with a big Eldo who would take you for a ride? There is a member of the CadillacForums site selling his hardtop due to a divorce. His is a 1978 hardtop Biarritz. Before trying to sell it he was going through and addressing anything he found which needed attention:
https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/1978-eldorado-biarritz.1114091/

Scott

wheikkila

I'm sorry to hear he has to sell his car due to a divorce. I know how if feels! I had to sell most of my cars and motorcycles. It was a sad day.
                 Thanks Wayne

79 Eldorado

Hi Wayne,
Yes it was shocking and sad for any of those following his threads. The way he asked questions you could tell he was excited about having his car and being able to make small repairs to improve it. In the link below he asked people to give their opinion on value and eventually broke the news to us. I think he actually had more information in this thread than in his for sale thread. He was doing a lot to get anything he found sorted and certainly doing it for himself; not to flip it. The news really came as a shock. The car has just over 42K miles and is Mediterranean blue.
https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/selling-what%E2%80%99s-a-good-price.1112736/#post-17965545

Hopefully once he gets through his current challenges he can find another one.

Scott

Matti R

I had 71 Eldos both as coupe and convertible. Biggest reasons for differences were:
- coupe is clearly quieter due to closed structure
- 50 years old cars have individual noises and faults here and there regardless of make and model. That causes most of the differences at least in my case.

Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

James Landi

I've made this comment on many occasions, and it's ignored because "under inflation" of radial tires is considered dangerous.  I've owned many used, high mileage  Eldorados from 67 to 72 ... Two when I was commuting 90 miles a day were very much daily drivers.  I inflated my tires to GM specs--- It's been decades, but if memory serves, it was 24 psi front and 22 rear.  The ride was amazingly improved when the tires are inflated to factory specifications.  I say amazingly improved because at every oil change, I'd get the car back with tires inflated to 32 or 34 pounds.  I didn't have to drive one mile before I was out of the car deflating the tires to factory specifications..    Did my tires wear uneveningly, no they did not...did they wear more rapidly,  I have no basis for judgement... with my 67 Eldo that I purchased used when radials were relatively new to the market, I  did have an issue  with tire delamination with one of the tires---   All this said, if I were to take a long sustained highway ride, I'd pump up the tires a few more pounds, but for the most part, I stuck with the  factory specs, and the ride quality was not harsh.     Happy day,  James

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: CadzRcool on December 18, 2021, 04:32:02 PM
Hi-
   My first post on the forums! I used to own one of my favorite cars, a 1976 Eldorado convertible. Such a beautiful car, but I was disappointed with the ride quality of the FWD compared to other RWD Cadillacs I had owned. Even after I completely rebuilt the front end, the ride quality was just not the best. Not nearly as smooth as RWD. Lots of squeaks and rattles in the car. Have other convertible owners had similar experiences? I've been thinking about buying another Eldorado, but a hardtop this time. I was wondering if there is any noticeable difference in the ride quality between an Eldorado convertible versus an Eldorado hardtop?

Convertibles are inherently more rattle prone for the reasons stated above. The situation can be exacerbated depending on the type of road conditions and use the car had been subjected over its life. The same would apply to closed body styles as well. Will never forget a 5 year old '83 CdV I once had that had come from the NYC area. Car was an immaculate original with 55,000 miles but the interior rattles were the worst I've ever heard in one of these.

I have no explanation for the difference in ride quality between the convertible and the coupe other than if the springs have been replaced with those having stiffer rates than OEM. This will affect ride quality dramatically.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

KOKNEYELDO

Getting divorced is painful and expensive.

When I got divorced about 24 years ago, I signed over 2 houses, all of the contents of the main house (except 2 Chinese ornate pots and a very large tv) and new-ish Suburban.

After a while the tv gave up and the pots were damaged, so the only thing I kept was my Eldorado!

It took a while for me to bounce back, got re-married (now 21 years), had a son (now 6" 2" and 15 today), so good luck with your situation!!
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

Scot Minesinger

On the ride quality of the Eldorado convertible as compared with rear drive Cadillacs of the 1970s:

I have driven several 1976 Eldorados (don't think I ever drove a closed Eldorado) and numerous RWD closed and open Cadillacs of the 1970's.  The ride is different, but I like them both.  As far as squeaks and rattles go, that is not a characteristic of any Cadillac of the 1960's/1970's that I have driven when in good repair.  There are numerous other components besides the suspension that can rattle.  One major item is the body to frame bushings.  Every nut and bolt should be check for proper tightness.  It is not easy to find all the rattles, but my convertibles do not rattle, and that has not happened without a lot of work.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty