News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Read 'em and weep

Started by fishnjim, December 21, 2021, 09:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

Auto industry and collectors dealt another blow by Biden's EPA.   
We're the only ones making this move, so not in our national interest, per se.   
Already settled in the court, to regulate CO2 as a pollutant, so they can "politely" ask you not to breathe in principle.   
Direct result of linear thinking and not problem solving.   The so-called "settled science" misses some very important and relevant information.     
I bet no one from Govt is willing to comment on the impact to classics, but the Obama position was "clunkers" and get them off the road and same players are in the Biden admin.
I can't recall a rule this close to implementation either.   I suspect has played some part in delaying the production of autos beyond the "computer" supply issues.   All well and good, but if no one buys the product...

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jim,
I'm not here to debate this issue, but the world is changing.  In the last 30 or so years the VAST majority of vehicles sold have been essentially lack luster transportation.  Today 20 and 30 year old somethings don't even bother to get their driver's licenses, and I am talking about in what used to be automobile "hot spots".   
The subject of the possible phasing out of our hobby has been discussed to death, and what I have taken from all this is that I try to enjoy today and the automotive opportunities today offers.
I have 2 "daily drivers" a 75 and a 76 Coupe deville that will take us anywhere we would like to go and with9ut hesitation when upkeep and maintenance become greater than the enjoyment they're gone.
I've got a 73 Coupe that now contains my children's inheritance, just so I can go through the quarter mile in 12 seconds, and a 79 "Paris" (pick up conversion) just to be sure I have something to do.
Worrying about the future just robs the present of its gifts.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillac ken

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on December 21, 2021, 10:12:38 AM
Jim,
I'm not here to debate this issue, but the world is changing.  In the last 30 or so years the VAST majority of vehicles sold have been essentially lack luster transportation.  Today 20 and 30 year old somethings don't even bother to get their driver's licenses, and I am talking about in what used to be automobile "hot spots".   
The subject of the possible phasing out of our hobby has been discussed to death, and what I have taken from all this is that I try to enjoy today and the automotive opportunities today offers.
I have 2 "daily drivers" a 75 and a 76 Coupe deville that will take us anywhere we would like to go and with9ut hesitation when upkeep and maintenance become greater than the enjoyment they're gone.
I've got a 73 Coupe that now contains my children's inheritance, just so I can go through the quarter mile in 12 seconds, and a 79 "Paris" (pick up conversion) just to be sure I have something to do.
Worrying about the future just robs the present of its gifts.
Greg Surfas

Agreed.  And make no mistake the clunker program allowed a lot of folks to get a check for a vehicle that dealers would not want on trade and had very little resale value.  Some folks got a down payment for a new car.

There are may multi-million dollar industries that support "older cars".  If you are over the age of 40 I really think worrying the sky is falling is a fear that is simply a waste of time.  To add there are many, many, collectors that have many more classic cars than I will ever have and I seriously doubt we will see the end of this hobby for many years.

Just go take a drive and enjoy it.

Big Fins

Ken, you are basically right down the street from me. I enjoyed mine for the past few weeks when the weather was nice and clear. It hasn't stopped raining since last night. So, for now, they stay tucked in the garage for the next sunny day.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

cadillac ken

Quote from: Big Fins on December 21, 2021, 11:41:18 AM
Ken, you are basically right down the street from me. I enjoyed mine for the past few weeks when the weather was nice and clear. It hasn't stopped raining since last night. So, for now, they stay tucked in the garage for the next sunny day.

UGH!  I know, right... We had guests fly in for the weekend and they were somewhat disappointed with Florida in December--- feeling more like Florida in August!  Looks like tomorrow we may have a turn for the better-- fingers crossed.

Regards, Ken

We never have in-climate weather here in Southern Texas. Every day is a Cadillac day.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

fishnjim

Nothing to worry about, it's a done deal - for now.   I doubt any '70s car will make 50 mpg unless pushed by a tornado.   We're getting into the range of bicycles with some of this and it's not necessary, nor is the rest of the world that interested.   All because one guy "feels it in his bones"...   
I bet most didn't even know this occurred.   News had a spun sound bite.   
Don't kill the messenger.

Bryan J Moran

I see the glass half full approach.  Bring on the electric cars.  There is a finite amount of oil.  If electric cars take hold for commuting and such, then that - 1. reduces Co2 emissions *  (* I know there is an offset for HOW the electricity is made, here in Iowa it is increasingly wind farming)  2. Demand goes down, the cost of gas goes down. 3. extends the ability of collectors to enjoy their cars well into the future. 

I'm 58.  I just shudder to think if there will be an old car hobby in 100 years.  I think so.  But I think there is an increasing line in the sand.  Meaning - even new cars that are considered "enthusiast" cars - like the Dodge Challenger, a Mustang GT, or a Camaro, or Corvette  - won't be collected as "unique".  But a 1957 Cadillac Brougham will be. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Jim
Those standards are for new cars, not anything considered a collector car.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on December 21, 2021, 04:21:39 PM
Jim
Those standards are for new cars, not anything considered a collector car.
Greg Surfas 
And never will be.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on December 21, 2021, 04:17:17 PM
I see the glass half full approach.  Bring on the electric cars.  There is a finite amount of oil.  If electric cars take hold for commuting and such, then that - 1. reduces Co2 emissions *  (* I know there is an offset for HOW the electricity is made, here in Iowa it is increasingly wind farming)  2. Demand goes down, the cost of gas goes down. 3. extends the ability of collectors to enjoy their cars well into the future. 

I'm 58.  I just shudder to think if there will be an old car hobby in 100 years.  I think so.  But I think there is an increasing line in the sand.  Meaning - even new cars that are considered "enthusiast" cars - like the Dodge Challenger, a Mustang GT, or a Camaro, or Corvette  - won't be collected as "unique".  But a 1957 Cadillac Brougham will be. 

Yes but there is a LOT more than nearly everyone can understand.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike