News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hub Centric vs. Lug centric

Started by Technician!, December 21, 2021, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technician!

What actual experience can be shared regarding this subject.   I finally found out (not on this site) that my 52 series 62 wheels have a hub bore of 78.1 mm.  Now to find steel wheels 15x6, with a 5x5 pattern and correct hub bore.  How safe and successful are others running lug centric wheels?   I'm really not keen on the idea myself.
Perfection bordering insanity

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Stephen,

The best ones are the Bore-centric" types, as with these, all the wheel studs/nuts have to do is hold the wheel to the hub.

With the "Lug-centric" ones, the lugs have to perform two tasks, with more chance of a lug coming loose, as there is a lot of flexing in the hub area.   Yes, steel wheels do flex, and one would be surprised just how much when going around turns and hitting potholes.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

walt chomosh #23510

Stephen,
  My 1955 CDV stock wheels with hub caps were hub centric. That was all I knew on every car I've ever owned....that is, until I put wire wheels on it. I was told by the seller to balance them by the lugs. I found out that not all tire shops have the attachments for balancing off the lugs. Fact is, once I did find a shop to balance them off the lugs I was a happy man. A guy that's struggling to find wheels to fit their hub could also machine adapters to fit over his/her hub for a precise fit. In my case, the lug centric method worked!....walt...tulsa,ok 

Technician!

The Tassie Devil(le)

Walt brought up an issue that cannot be forgotten.

With the Wheel Balancing on a commercial Balancer, these go off the wheel centre hole, which is okay for a Hub-centric wheel, but when balancing a Lug-centric wheel, the optimum method it to balance each wheel on the car, because the wheel is centred by the lugs.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishnjim

I doubt seriously the OEM specs were metric here.   So must be a locale issue.
They didn't not have dynamic wheel balancers and radials in that period, like today.   Bubble level type, bias ply tires.   Ball vs roller beaarings.    Some of the early rims were riveted, vs welded also.  Different animals.  Changes the dynamics.
I'm not aware of the complete history of the incremental engineering changes during X-frame era.  There wasn't as much known then and lots of 'over design by today's stds.  There's still tolerances to get the wheel off/on, so I'd not put too much faith in the theory.   If it's held on by racing style quick change center screw in knock off that's more like it.   Some are lug bolt vs lug nut attached also.   Both have tapers, tapers ensure centering, more than increasing surface contact.

59-in-pieces

Jim ?

What a breathe of fresh air.

Yanking the discussion back to earth with the --- they weren't made that way --- to worry about metrics or ---centric this or that.

Stay grounded and have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

wrench

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on December 24, 2021, 12:09:22 PM
Jim ?

What a breathe of fresh air.

Yanking the discussion back to earth with the --- they weren't made that way --- to worry about metrics or ---centric this or that.

Stay grounded and have fun,
Steve B.

Yeah was curious about that 78.1 mm.

What was .1 mm on a wheel hub hole in 1952?

I must admit I was not clear on the point of the original post.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Technician!

The specs on the wheels are 15x6 with 5x5 lug pattern and a hub bore of 78.1     These are hub centric wheels.  I do wish I could find specs from the era as I am sure they weren't in metric dimensions.
Just looking for help finding some wheels for my ride is all.