News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Gear Selector Adjustment

Started by 2danreed, December 21, 2021, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2danreed

Anybody know how to adjust the gear selector indicator? I have a 1964 Series 62 Sedan, which has the regular Hydramatic. As you can see in the photo It doesn't quite lineup with each gear (it's about an 1/8 inch off). In this photo I was in "Drive 1" position at a red light.
Dan Reed

carguyblack

Can't speak to the 64 specifically but our 56 Cadillac's adjuster screw is on the steering column just under the window indicator. I needed to drop down the steering column and it exposes a set screw with an adjustment slot as part of the white indicator wire. It should all make sense once the column is let down a touch. That would be my best guess for your 64 as well.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Daryl Chesterman

Before adjusting the pointer, you need to refer to your shop technical manual and be sure the shift linkage is properly adjusted, then make the adjustment for the pointer if it is needed.  The shop manual will give you the details as to how to do both adjustments.

Daryl Chesterman

russ austin

Remove the lower dash panel. You will see a metal block on the bottom of the column, below the indicator.   The needle is mounted to the block.  An allen screw holds the needs tight in the block. Loosen and adjust the needle.
R.Austin

fishnjim

They wear and can get sloppy.   I had to repair the part where it attaches to the column to get it to read right.   There should be some instructions in the shop manual.  You can bend the wire a tad too if it's on tight.