News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 PCV install

Started by 60eldo, December 22, 2021, 08:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

So I have a fair amount of smoke coming out that pipe. I would like to install a PCV valve. In theory could I not get a PCV hose attach it to the bottom of that pipe, run it up to near the carb, cut the hose insert a PCV valve and then run another piece of hose to the intake? Will this work?
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jon,

In theory you could, but not practicable.

I converted my own '60 390 to a PCV system, and wrote up an article about it, and will see if I can locate it.

You need to incorporate a PCV Valve to stop the removal of oil and separate it from the air, before it enters the tube.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

60eldo

So how did you do it, explain, please. I read an older thread on here and that how this guy did it.
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jon,

I tried searching for it, but could not find it, so I will write up another story, and post it.   Please be patient, and it will come.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

5390john

I installed a PCV system in my '55 CDV with a stock 331. I did a lot of research and came up with a system that works really well.
See ALL attachments and photos with this post, especially the Hemmings PDF and the Dash Mfg sheet. ME Wagner makes a 2-stage adjustable PCV valve and  Dash makes the spacer you will need. You will also need a junkyard component part, the fitting that replaces the blow by tube on the valley cover, see photo. That is an especially critical part.
You'll need to pull the intake manifold for access and probably have to readjust the carb linkage too.
Not a huge job, but not a small one either.
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jon,

I apologise for taking so long to get back, as I couldn't find the article, so here is it re-typed.

In picture of the PCV Valve, I simply removed the tube from the back of the engine, and cut the tube from the top end, and grafted a PCV Valve and fitting from another car.   This piece from the other car maintained the correct holding of the PCV Valve.   I got it from a local GM 6 Cylinder engine, as it sat on the top of the Rocker Cover, up high, out of the way.   By using the PCV Valve in the vertical position, mimics the way that Valve was designed to sit in the engine.   That is, standing up, and not laying down.

The hose from this Valve was then routed to a 'T' junction that I cut into the Vacuum hose to the Power Brake Booster.  (Mine had been converted to late model Vacuum Boosted Dual Master Cylinder, so it was an easy way to gain a good Vacuum source.

Now it was time to attack the other end of the system.

In my case, I was running an electric petrol pump, and thereby had a vacant 'hole' for the petrol pump, so I created a plate to take the hose that supplies clean air into the sump.

The picture "Oil Filler" shows the Pump stand/Oil breather/filler stand, with the fitting.   What the picture doesn't show is the tube taking a 90 degree turn downwards immediately as it enters, for about 2"   This had to be done so that when I added oil to the engine, it didn't have any chance to detour out said hose.

Plus, as the hose is drawing filtered air from the Carburettor Air Cleaner, the factory breather had to be removed, so I replaced it with an oil cap and fitting from an Oldsmobile 455 engine that I had laying around in pieces.

The third picture shows the hose heading from the Oil Filler Stand to under the Air Cleaner.

The beauty of modifying the rear Draft Tube, is that the factory oil/air separator is retained within the crankcase.

Any questions?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

60eldo

1st of all thank you all for your efforts and posting pics. John I love your idea but I dont want to tear down my engine to do this, but thanks . This is what Im doing now please tell me if Im wrong and why. I found a 3/4 PCV hose that I will stick up the draft pipe, it fits perfect and snug. Then come up pass side to the pcv valve that you see, then to a slightly smaller hose and then to the vacumn at rear of intake, will it work? Im not changing the oil cap. Bruce, what kind of engine are you showing me here.
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jon,

One problem with your intended idea is that if there is any with excessive blow-by, there is the possibility that oil could build-up in the bottom of the "U" bend, and block up the whole system.

A "plug" here could end up creating excess pressure within the crankcase, and the pressure will result in leaking gaskets elsewhere in the engine.   The "loosest/slackest" gasket/joint will leak first.

My engine is a '62 390 in my '60 CDV. (The same mostly as the '60 390, apart from the Sump depth and Starter Motor, oh, and the Oil Pump Pickup, which in the later 390's is fixed, and not swinging.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

60eldo

Morning Bruce, I see what you mean and I understand a bit more. I dont see your PCV in your pics.Probably cause its under your intake. Next, will I have to remove my intake to do this? I dont want to do this. How did you cut the draft tube at the top when theres a screw there holding it down. But your making more sence to me, I just want to stop the white smoke piling out of my tube when Im sitting at a stop sign.
Jon. Kluczynski

rwchatham CLC 21892

Quote from: 60eldo on December 24, 2021, 11:17:26 AM
Morning Bruce, I see what you mean and I understand a bit more. I dont see your PCV in your pics.Probably cause its under your intake. Next, will I have to remove my intake to do this? I dont want to do this. How did you cut the draft tube at the top when theres a screw there holding it down. But your making more sence to me, I just want to stop the white smoke piling out of my tube when Im sitting at a stop sign.

John rebuilding the motor with new piston rings would help with the excess blow by
R. Waligora

Big Fins

That one center screw in the draft tube and a small bracket attached to a transmission attaching bolt is all that holds the tube on. Once that center screw is removed and the lower bracket bolt, the tube lifts straight up off of the engine.

Ray is telling you the proper way to fix the problem. All you are really doing is recirculating blow-by acids, moisture and other chemicals right back into the engine.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

60eldo

OK heres what I rigged up. Fits tight, Now what about that bolt holding the draft pipe, do I need to replace it or just leave it out?
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 60eldo on December 24, 2021, 11:17:26 AM
Morning Bruce, I see what you mean and I understand a bit more. I dont see your PCV in your pics.Probably cause its under your intake.     
The PCV Valve is the fitting with the hex sides, and the hose plugged on top of it.

Not all PCV Valves are completely round like the modern variety.   Why this one has the hex beats me, but it was a simple push-in type.

I made mine up whilst the engine was in the car.

Sorry I cannot get a better picture, as the car is now in Western Australia.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

60eldo

So Im finally done, but what an adventure. All of us just say, Oh just do this and this and you ll be done. Let me tell you, after 8 hours of f,,,king around to find the right plug, laying on a matteress on my engine and trying to get me left hand only in there,, dist. in the way, I did it. Now let me ask,,,the valve is in the valley pan, hose to rear of carb in intake, when the fumes go into the intake where do they go?
Jon. Kluczynski

35-709

Into the combustion chamber.  The object is to burn the gases ("fumes") during the combustion process rather than to vent them to the atmosphere.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

60eldo

So I got a chance today 62F to start my car outside to check my installation of PCV valve, and I see lots smoke coming from valley pan. Did I do something wrong, heres some pics. Its like its not sucking from intake.
Jon. Kluczynski

Big Fins

You are putting all of the suction to one intake runner. In time, it will foul the plug for that cylinder if you have extreme blow-by. You have to pull the blow-by from the road draft tube and have it return to the engine via the lowest port on the base of the carburetor. Because these engines weren't designed to use a PCV valve you are going to have to make some sort of suction port and adjust the air intake of the carb to compensate for the excess vacuum.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

60eldo

John I pulled the black hose and it has oil in it. You were right. Im just not following you about the set up. The pipe is just hollow,  think I have no idea what Im doing here
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jon,

The PCV Valve has to go into an internal oil separator to stop the oil from simply being pulled out in vast amounts as yours appears to be doing.

What you have done is plumbed the Valve directly into the top of the Valley Cover, where there is no screen/oil separator.

If you have a look at any Factory engine with a PCV Valve in the Rocker Covers, or the Valley Cover, you will see that there is no direct contact with the internal oiling.

When you stripped out the original Draft Tube to fit the PCV Valve, was there any screen/separator inside it?

Plus, pulling the vacuum from close to an intake valve will possible create a form of Pulsing in the Vacuum Signal, as against the base of the Carby where the Vacuum is pulled as one 'unit'.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

60eldo

I saw no screen in the valley pan. So where do I get this separater? How does it fit. Must go in valley pan. Next I will take the hose out and attach to brake booster hose, is that ok?  Right now I have the pcv in top valley pan and the intake vacumn is sucking air and oil.
Jon. Kluczynski