News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Troubleshooting hydroelectric on seat in a '49 convertible

Started by Orin 16302, December 23, 2021, 02:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orin 16302

Hi, all.  I have a '49 convertible with the hyrdroelectric system.  The system works well overall, and was serviced about 5 years ago, with a rebuilt pump and some rebuilt cylinders. (Still the original brake fluid, not atf, though.) 

I am having problems with the front seat, which is on the hydroelectric system, to move it front and back.  When I pull the switch forward, to move the seat forward, it works fine, moving the seat forward.  When I pull the switch back, though, to move the seat back, I just get a click sound near the cylinder in the middle of front seat.  Nothing else engages, no whirring of the pump, and no movement.  As a result, my front seat is pulled way forward and I can't move it back.

Any idea how to repair this?  Any thoughts?  Thanks very much for your consideration!

Orin
CLC Member #16302
Northern California, Bay Area

G Pennington

The pump is not activated when the seat is moved aft.  The switch energizes (opens) the solenoid valve at the base of seat cylinder and allows a large spring to pull the seat back.  The clicking sound you hear is probably the cylinder solenoid.  My guess would be that something is jammed and not allowing the spring to return the seat to the full aft position.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

V63

The movement back is by purging fluid back and spring tension, similar to lowering the window. The pump does not operate in these scenarios. Verify that the valve is opening and that the spring is attached and seat not binding.

Keep the Brake fluid (not ideal) Frequently changed annually at a minimum. Converting to ATF will probably necessitate rebuild of entire system.

Also verify lubrication of the sliding track

If you can seat yourself you can try and 'assist' the assembly rearward by holding the switch rearward and apply some pressure with your body rearward? If you get no movement it maybe the fluid is not flowing

Orin 16302

Thanks for the replies!  I looked back at the rear of the cylinder, where the spring attaches. The spring appears to be attached, although I'm not sure what I should be looking for in terms of obstructions or if the valve is opening.   I've (hopefully) attached a photo that I hope shows what it looks like as far as I can see....

V63

You can pull out the seat bottom cushion for a better look and service.

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

As compared to the window lift units the seat unit also as a rachet affair that keeps the seat from jiggling in the stopped position.  In restoring a 49 I never did quite understand how this worked but it worked so i didn't worry about it. If all other items mentioned above check out you might study this feature of the assembly and make sure it is not blocking the unit from going back.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo