News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Gave myself a Christmas present

Started by fishnjim, December 25, 2021, 10:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

after all the delays and interruptions this year, I got the last wire installed last week for the electric fuel pump after sitting 5 months.   I had a few free hours this AM, so I went down and fired up the '58 on the electric fuel pump.   Other than sounding like I got Woody Woodpecker held hostage in my trunk, it works fine with all the interlocks.   I was hoping I wouldn't have to troubleshoot that.   I wasn't sure it was going to work as the paper said.   Steady 5.5 lbs and comes on as needed to feed the tripower.   No more mechanical failures nightmare.
I also solved the mystery of why the power steering went out.   NO pump pressure, so that's one for the list.   I thought maybe the gear pressure control was fouled/stuck but no pressure, no steering.   Quite dangerous actually - it wanders.   Something to do next week, tear it open.
Nothing comes without pain.   I had a towel I keep on the fender, so I don't scratch.   Bibs have steel fasteners.   I don't like fender skirts and towel got blown off and sucked into the fan and jumped the PS belt off.   A while ago we discussed how close the tolerance is under the crank pulleys on these engines and surely it got wedged.   The big channelocks came to the rescue and easily shredded the old trusty towel.  I'll replace the belt just for safety, no visible harm.    Maybe '22 will finally offer some cruze time.   
I'm still out of luck on a replacement for the '19 XT5.   No one is jumping up and offering me a new vehicle and I'm down to less than a month.   May have to just buy out this one and wait.    It's gained value over the buyout.
Hope the car gods favor your classic Caddie.

79 Eldorado

Jim,
One of my friends bought a non Cadillac SUV in 2018 new (heavily optioned higher end of a brand not normally considered a premium brand). He drives a lot including NY to Florida sometimes and not just during "snow bird" times. Two weeks ago he was offered more than he paid for it. The issue is finding something now to replace it. If you're willing to drive something which wouldn't be your first choice when you turn yours it it might be a solution until you find what you really want. It will be interesting to hear what you find.

On the PS your car is older than what I normally work on but the newer PS pumps have a pressure relief behind the pressure line nut. I wonder if those could fail in such a way that you essentially get no pressure because everything bypasses? I've never had it happen and while I have changed them I never took a close look at how they work.

On the fuel pump is there a return line and if so is the diameter sufficient? I'm not an expert but when I hear stories about pumps making a lot of noise I've wondered if they could be struggling to pump against increase back pressure (assuming the pump was already primed and working). I created a calculator for pressure drop in Excel and the line diameter makes a huge difference. That was expected but I thought it was even more drastic than I naturally expected.

Scott

walt chomosh #23510

Jim,
  I put a shock mount under my electric fuel pump in an effort to quiet it down....works good....walt...tulsa,ok

fishnjim

I was expecting some noise.   I'll do something to quiet it later.   I guess the huge empty trunk is acting like a reverb/echo chamber.   Fuel lines are held by insulated clamps and there's rubber hose between the pump and filter.   It's electronic and has an internal pressure control, so no, it's not pumping dead headed, it kicks off when on pressure limit.   This was the only pump that fits the carb specs in terms of delivery and pressure and why I chose it.   Install didn't say anything about isolators.   Most modern for FI need a pressure regulator and return so they don't pop/push the needle valve seat and overflow.   This one solves that.
What sort of "shock mount", Walt?
I'm still working on the PS.   Garage gremlins at play.    I was puzzled by lack of at least some pressure only thing would be stuck vanes, no fluid, etc..   I discovered that sitting so long the reservoir leaked out through a bottom fitting leak(right on to the exhaust manifold).   My bad I didn't check level before I started.  Last I checked it over several days was holding level well.  I have to get it warmed a bit to idle before I can go look at the gauge, and it was running a stream under pressure after I refilled.   It was smoking so bad, I had to quit.   Always something...

Supercruiser

Hey Jim.  Just curious what electric pump you used.  I have been considering adding an electric pump to my 1959 with 3X2 Bbl carbs due to what seems to be an inability of the mechanical fuel pump to pull the fuel up to the carbs after its been sitting for a while.  I was going to mount the electric pump under the car near the fuel tank and run a switch up under the dash so I could manually turn it on and prime the fuel system before starting it after sitting for a while then shut the switch and pump off after it starts and let the mechanical pump take over.  Since you mentioned you have a 3X2 carb setup as well I was interested in both what pump you used and what issues you were having that made you look into an electric pump.  Sorry if I missed the complete story somewhere back and am asking for a repeat but any assistance would be much appreciated.  Thanks!