News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Converting Vacuum wipers to electric--anyone adapt the cable system to work? 57

Started by Cymz@sbcglobal.net, December 27, 2021, 08:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cymz@sbcglobal.net

My profile pic shows my 1957 camper conversion so originality is not a concern  We plan to use this camper nation wide and need it to perform like any newer car.  When looking into wiper conversions to electric, it looks like we only have the option to ditch the original switch and use a new one mounted elsewhere.  I would love to see if anyone has ideas on how to use the original cable to utilize a new electric motor/switch--thanks in advance

V63

You can get an electric wiper for a 1957 Chevrolet but you have to reverse your cables under the dash do the wipers PARK correct.

dn010

...Or, just buy an electric wiper motor designed for the 54-58 Cadillac and be done with it, without worrying about cables and all that other nonsense.

https://newportwipers.com/product/1954-58-cadillac/#wiper-motor
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

V63

Nice to know there is now a Cadillac Versión!
Last time I did it, there was no offering of a Cadillac Versión.

fishnjim

I put the Newport in the '58 years ago (2014) and have only had one problem with the control box failing.   
I made a panel(below) for under the dash for mounting the controls.   Used stock holes and a piece of sheet metal that I covered with faux stainless.   It has the rocker switch for the antenna next to it.   The classic stereo contacts can't handle the amperage of the OEM motor.   So had to run a separate circuit for the power antenna, but not connect to radio.   There's a hidden electronic antenna for the stereo.
I bought a 1 gallon WW washer from US Plastics for the squirter.  Mounted to the radiator support.  The first smaller one from Summit was flimsy and bit the dust.   When you depress the Newport switch it activates the squirter.   Used replacement wiper arms.   The stock ones are hard to get and $$$.

Cymz@sbcglobal.net

I am trying to preserve the original switch and /or location--the newport one I am aware of but do not want to add the switch

J. Gomez

Quote from: Cymz@sbcglobal.net on January 03, 2022, 04:17:07 PM
I am trying to preserve the original switch and /or location--the newport one I am aware of but do not want to add the switch

Phil,

You have two options if you want to keep the original wiper switch with the cable and the vacuum washer.

You can remove the switch and pull the knob out and adapt the knob to the Newport switch shaft but you will lose the vacuum washer feature unless you go with an electric washer pump.

Or you can make a similar adapter as I did on my '56 with a 3-way dual contact slider switch just for the wiper motor (see attach pictures). This way you can still have the same switch with the cable setup and the vacuum washer feature.

Just as FYI I will eventually be removing the original switch and move the vacuum washer to electric so the original cable switch will have to go. I converted an original vacuum washer to electric which eventually will be going in.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Technician!

That is very ingenious!  What is the part number of the switch you used?
Perfection bordering insanity

Rdtreur

I just made a custom electric wiper conversion for my 1952. No washer option but i changed te cable switch for a electric switch and swapped out the knob so the dash looks the same.
Here's my topic:
https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=167381.0
R.D. Treur
Past caddy’s:
‘68 convertible ‘70 Eldorado,  ‘75 sedan, ‘75 Fleetwood

J. Gomez

Quote from: Technician! on February 05, 2022, 06:33:43 PM
That is very ingenious!  What is the part number of the switch you used?

The manufacture part # is G-368S-0000 this is a 3P-3POS (3 pole-3-position) slider switch. I thought I had the wiring layout for the wires at the switch but I can't find it sorry, the one attach is from memory

The reason for this type of switch is due to the "Park" wire which needs to have the +12V on the off position of the switch to park the wiper motor. So the 3P on the switch allows to make the connections for low, high and park.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Technician!

Thank you for the information!  Here is a pic of how I modified my switch to operate an electric washer pump.  Was going to retain the vac wipers, but will probably go with an electric conversion using your cable driven switch design.

Technician!

Quote from: J. Gomez on February 06, 2022, 09:48:40 AM
The manufacture part # is G-368S-0000 this is a 3P-3POS (3 pole-3-position) slider switch. I thought I had the wiring layout for the wires at the switch but I can't find it sorry, the one attach is from memory

The reason for this type of switch is due to the "Park" wire which needs to have the +12V on the off position of the switch to park the wiper motor. So the 3P on the switch allows to make the connections for low, high and park.

Good luck..!

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't that a 4 pole, 3 position switch ?

J. Gomez

Quote from: Technician! on February 07, 2022, 05:41:22 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't that a 4 pole, 3 position switch ?

Stephen,

Not a problem, it is actually a 3-pole since the slider (black center block on the picture) slides three positions and the brass contacts on each side make with both poles on the same side three times.   ;)

So a slider brass contact(s) makes with 1-2 (position 1), 2-3 (position 2) and 3-4 (position 3) in this type of switch, one a rotary type switch  it will have three wafers with 3 contacts on each wafer plus one that would make with them (in most case it will be in the center) again on each wafer. 

So the one on the picture above from New Port is a single pole three position rotary switch.

Confusing I know  :o

Hope this helps..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Technician!

Technician!

Quote from: J. Gomez on February 07, 2022, 07:39:30 PM
Stephen,

Not a problem, it is actually a 3-pole since the slider (black center block on the picture) slides three positions and the brass contacts on each side make with both poles on the same side three times.   ;)

So a slider brass contact(s) makes with 1-2 (position 1), 2-3 (position 2) and 3-4 (position 3) in this type of switch, one a rotary type switch  it will have three wafers with 3 contacts on each wafer plus one that would make with them (in most case it will be in the center) again on each wafer. 

So the one on the picture above from New Port is a single pole three position rotary switch.

Again, please excuse my ignorance, but aren't the top 4 terminals in the diagram just redundant?

Confusing I know  :o

Hope this helps..!