News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wiper Transmission, Cut chain....Help!

Started by Poncholover, December 30, 2021, 01:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poncholover

Picked up this little gem over the weekend. T'was happy to pay a little under market prices :)
But! The hired wrench who removed it cut the chain and after long & careful study, there does not seem to be an easy fix here.
Can this be disassembled without destroying it? Maybe I could repair the chain links but I'll bet that the length is critical.
Who else has been here?
Flattie Caddy

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

harry s

The knurled wiper arm connection can be removed but very carefully. The best way I have found is to use a pry bar that has a separation that will allow equal pressure on each side. The pin that holds the top gear for the chain has a serrated shaft. It would be good to soak it  with PB or equivalent prior to trying removal. Don't try to pry from the inside with a screwdriver or use the housing for leverage as it is diecast and will disintegrate before your eyes.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Poncholover

Wow, Harry, Thanks! I might need to send it to you? :)
(1940 LaSalle) 50 series.
Flattie Caddy

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

harry s

Quote from: Poncholover on December 30, 2021, 03:41:03 PM
Wow, Harry, Thanks! I might need to send it to you? :)
Ponch, Not with my luck. That's how I know what happens when you use too force. :)      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

39LaSalleDriver

What I did to pull my shafts was to stack washers on the shaft itself, then thread a nut onto said shaft, and carefully tighten it down. When you get to the point you run out of room, remove the nut and add more washers as needed. It'll come out if the threads aren't too boogered (mine were slightly so, but it still worked).
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

Poncholover

Would this shaft be threaded under the knurled "cap"?
Flattie Caddy

39LaSalleDriver

Ooops...sorry! I didn't look real close at the photo. My towers are the 39 versions which have an acorn nut holding the wiper arms on (see attached photo).

It's been about 3 years since I fooled with them as I was having them re-chromed, but I seem to recall encountering that the type you show here was a Trico aftermarket shaft and arrangement. Mine had been modified slightly by adding this aftermarket "knob" for lack of better term, with splines to hold the wiper arm as yours has, but it attached to the shaft with threads on it. I seem to recall it threaded on there though.

P.S. There used to be a seller on Ebay who had a bunch of NOS repair kits for the chain linkage (second photo which also shows the shaft with the splined knob attached to it). You'd have to verify which part number you'd need, and I recall them being a bit pricey.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019