News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Crankshaft Noise

Started by 60eldo, January 01, 2022, 03:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Since I bought my 60 cad 3 years ago it has this ticking from the front of engine .When I removed the bolt and it (the bolt) snapped in half. I tryed another one longer of course with a few washers, and it got worse, when car warmed up it got better but was still there. It just dawned on me today that when I put in a longer bolt I was just pushing on the broken stud inside. Am I right in thinking that if I were to put in a shorter bolt , not hitting the broken stud that ,that might pull the crank forward a enough to stop the ticking. The bolt on the left is the one that snapped, the other 2 are good ones.
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

This bolt will not move the crankshaft in any way, forward or back, as it retains the front hub/harmonic balancer/pulleys in place.

Something else must be causing the noise.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dave Shepherd

60eldo

So what does this bolt screw into? When I tighten it to 60lbs, its really loud knock so I back it off until it gets better
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

That bolt is into a blind hole in the end of the crankshaft.

Don't know how it could cause any problems you describe, unless the crankshaft is actually cracked, and the tightening is distorting the end.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

It could be forcing the lower pulley and balancer into the front cover retaining bolts or the lip of the oil pan.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Poncholover

Ohh, My head!
First, that broken bolt must come out. If you have ruined the crank treads, perhaps they can be repaired with a thread insert? A professional will know.
If not, the crank has to come out which will likely reveal the source of the noise.
The tick means that something is loose. Could be a timing gear with a loose key way. The crank key way can be repaired.
Never seen a damaged cam key way. But cams are cheap. Just likely outa stock these days...
First step will be to remove the radiator, pump manifold, timing cover to look around.
Interested in what will be found...
(And that second bolt is not "good" Throw it out. None of them have any business in an engine, given their condition.)
Flattie Caddy

Big Fins

I've never seen a cam keyway on a Cadillac engine. Two locating pins and a fuel pump eccentric is held on with a bolt.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Poncholover

Wondering how this turned out...
Flattie Caddy

James Landi

Could there be an issue with a worn thrust bearing?  Try pulling and pushig the crank shaft forward and back--- with a pry bar.  If you can move the entire crank shaft fore and aft, that may well be your noise.  When you're experimenting with the bolts, you may, in fact, be moving the crank shaft, thus unknowingly changing the noise.  Hope this helps,  James