News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible EFI, to buy or not buy, that is the question.

Started by dennisspeaks, January 02, 2022, 10:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisspeaks

Thanks for your reply.  I have purchased the car and will be picking her up next week. 

1st order of business fog the engine with Marvel Mystery oil and drop the tank, clean it and put a new fuel pump and sending unit that another member refereed me to then we will be replacing the orings on the injectors that arrived yesterday, I bought several sets of the ones BR said to get and extra sets of the ones that had to copper washers.  I already have rolls of acdelco gas line hose to replace the gas hose from another 78 Biarritz carb car that I had to do some work on.  I am very familiar with the stories about these catching fire.  During that time I would have sent the ECU to Bruce Roe for updating.

Once running then I will be flushing the brake system, changing hoses, calipers and master cylinder and brake booster  .Fortunately for me I have some parts from the Biarritz that I sold to a local dealer and had purches brakes parts and belts the new parts I knew I would need for another project.

I didn't think about the door lock solenoids or the seat lock soleniods but did think about the heater core.  The 71 Sedan, 66 Sedan and 78 Biarritz I had purchased earlier that were in the same barn didn't have those electrical issues, fingers crossed here too.  I know I am living on borrowed time and I am keeping my fingers crossed on the heater core as well and with my 78 Biarritz, 78 Eldo and 75 Sedan, all projects I plan to get done over the next year or so.

While it gets a tranny flush we will changing out those nylon gears, timing chain water pump and hoses.

The members here have been very helpful into providing insight in the possiblities and resources.  If all else fails I have a backup plan in the form of a 78 Biarritz complete parts car to convert it to carb.

Lucky for me I found a couple of shops here that I am familiar with that do much of the work for these old cars.  All the other shops either referred me to them or said h... no.

As for the convertible top, after it sits a couple of days in the sun I will see what the pump, lines and so on look like then see what challenges if any I have to deal with.

Here we go.

Thanks for your input Cadillacdave

Quote from: Cadillacdave on January 23, 2022, 01:24:08 AM
The underside corrosion appears to be minimal. The low mileage is great but it is still a non- running vehicle. It will.likely need work in the fuel injection system to make it run and more work to make it safe and run right. It will need either new injectors or at least new o-rings on the original injectors. Absent that, you could have a fire from a leaky injector when a 40+ year old o-rings let's go. Other parts may need to be replaced as well, including fuel pumps, brakes, all hoses and belts and fluids including, transmission fluid, oil and anti freeze.  Seat lock solenoids can be frozen as well as door lock solenoids. AC may be leaking as well. Car sounds really nice. Just try to take everything into consideration. Best of luck.

I purchased a highly optioned low mileage (30K miles) 76 Eldo  with astro roof (no leaks and opens and closes like new) last year and despite low mileage it still needed a heater core and many of the items listed.
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1990 Sedan Deville -gave to son
1988 Fleetwood Brougham - gave to daughter
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442
1975 Caprice Classic Sold

James Landi

Dennis,

In my experience, sometimes the heater core, and even the freeze out plugs, leak because the coolant has turned acidic.   I realize that other age related issues can cause failure, but you may establish at least of  modicum of  assurance if you were to test the coolant before you drain and flush the system.  By the way, it's not always the case that the coolant "turns," and as to why some coolant becomes acidic over time and some does not, I have not a clue.    Channeling good luck your way, and please do keep us posted.   James

Big Fins

No pump or lines on the scissor top. It's an electric motor and drive cables similar to the look of speedometer cables. If you remove the rear of the back seat, you will see if there were relay(s) put in to take the load off of the switch. They are usually installed on the back wall.

I wouldn't be too nervous bout the timing chain cam sprocket. When I changed mine 7 years ago at 30,000 miles, it was still like new with no checking in the plastic at all. I replaced both sprockets and the chain with a Cloyes roller set, from what used to be MTS. Not sure if they are still around or if there was a name change or not.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

dennisspeaks

Thanks for that info, I have only worked on a 65 Olds Jetstar convertible top.  As long as the weather stays as it is and does not snow I will be bringing home Wednesday or Thursday and will better see what i am working with under a microscope. 

I thought the timing gear should be good and I have not discussed this with the mechanic that will be doing the transmission refresh about it I just figured while the engine is out do that at the same time. 

It's not like this car will see a lot of miles once it's going since it will be used for car shows, cruises, parades weekend drives during the spring through fall months.  I don't have a daily classic driver, will be spreading that time between  six cars.  Let the sunshine begin!

Quote from: Big Fins on January 23, 2022, 09:12:04 AM
No pump or lines on the scissor top. It's an electric motor and drive cables similar to the look of speedometer cables. If you remove the rear of the back seat, you will see if there were relay(s) put in to take the load off of the switch. They are usually installed on the back wall.

I wouldn't be too nervous bout the timing chain cam sprocket. When I changed mine 7 years ago at 30,000 miles, it was still like new with no checking in the plastic at all. I replaced both sprockets and the chain with a Cloyes roller set, from what used to be MTS. Not sure if they are still around or if there was a name change or not.
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442

Big Fins

If you're going through all of the grief to pull the engine and trans, then yes, do it. Would I pull it all apart? Doubt it. If it was going to do 50+ miles per day, then I'd think about it. Otherwise, I run it to see what I have first. Labor isn't cheap anymore.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

dennisspeaks

I was going to be discussing this with my mechanic who already said don't jump the gun in doing it, that would be a next year winter project if I had to do it and of course I am not into throwing money away that I can put into other cars.  50 miles a day, I would be hard pressed for that much in a week if I was lucky.

Thanks for your input, I like to save money whenever I can.

Quote from: Big Fins on January 23, 2022, 06:03:28 PM
If you're going through all of the grief to pull the engine and trans, then yes, do it. Would I pull it all apart? Doubt it. If it was going to do 50+ miles per day, then I'd think about it. Otherwise, I run it to see what I have first. Labor isn't cheap anymore.
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442

jwwseville60

Very nice car!

I know Ill get flak for this but I dont care.
Early EFI was designed for better throttle response but it was mostly for emissions.
This was early days technology. IMHO you are better off with the GM 4 barrel or newer carb of your choice. 750 CFM.

Dont run the risk of old EFI, its junk. I know you can get anything to work, but for reliability Id go with a 140-year old technology that's proven.
Modern aftermarket EFI is crap. Dont use it unless you have a Dyno and are an excellent mechanic yourself.

Barn cars are cheap and exiting, but its been in an open-end barn with mice, heat and cold cycles, dust, and insects. Its going to be a big job so steel yourself.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

dennisspeaks

jwwseville60

Fortunately for me this is my 4th car that I have gotten out of that barn since January 2021, maybe I/we got lucky, maybe it was the stars but no mice tracings.  However they had 8 barns/buildings with cars.  By the time I found out there were only 4 barns with cars remaining and one of those barns the mice totally destroyed what would have been two nice cars, a 77 Biarritz and 78 Biarritz.  There were also two 78 Oldsmobiles Toro XS's that got some light mouse droppings and in one of the other buildings a nice 93 Sedan and 90's oldsmobile as well a few other cars, over all they skated.

I have a complete parts car 78 Cad as my backup plan if I chose to go the carb route later.  I have rolled the dice and am very comfortable with my decision, the reasons for far outweighed the reasons against.  I just look forward to getting her home and warmer weather.

TBC
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442

V63

I have installed a holly sniper (EFI) on a 75 Eldorado and remain EXTREMELY pleased. Wonderful performance. I would be very hard pressed to consider a carburetor again. If any one wants the removed original Rochester carburetor (30k actual mile car) it's available for $200.

dennisspeaks

Glad it worked out for you.  I heard that these were great.  Which model did you use?

Quote from: V63 on January 24, 2022, 02:03:04 PM
I have installed a holly sniper (EFI) on a 75 Eldorado and remain EXTREMELY pleased. Wonderful performance. I would be very hard pressed to consider a carburetor again. If any one wants the removed original Rochester carburetor (30k actual mile car) it's available for $200.
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442

TJ Hopland

I have FiTech on mine which is pretty similar to the Sniper and I really don't have any complaints or plans to go back to a carb.   

If you do end up giving up on the EFI (which doesn't seem likely given how you want to use the car and the resources available here) you have to change the intake because it was unique to those EFI systems.  Nothing at all on it matched up to anything newer except maybe some of the bolts. 

Many of us EFI enthusiasts considered modding the original but mostly concluded just isn't worth it.   Either go with a current production aftermarket intake or to a carb intake and use the EFI systems made for carbs which in the case of the Sniper would be their Quadrajet one because it should bolt up without adapters.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dennisspeaks

TJ that is one of the questions I had in my mind about the intake. I too think I should be fine following the recommendations of those that have gone before me and buying up some extra parts.

While I got your ear, any recommendation on top and seat cleaner / conditioner?

Quote from: TJ Hopland on January 24, 2022, 11:02:40 PM
I have FiTech on mine which is pretty similar to the Sniper and I really don't have any complaints or plans to go back to a carb.   

If you do end up giving up on the EFI (which doesn't seem likely given how you want to use the car and the resources available here) you have to change the intake because it was unique to those EFI systems.  Nothing at all on it matched up to anything newer except maybe some of the bolts. 

Many of us EFI enthusiasts considered modding the original but mostly concluded just isn't worth it.   Either go with a current production aftermarket intake or to a carb intake and use the EFI systems made for carbs which in the case of the Sniper would be their Quadrajet one because it should bolt up without adapters.
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442

bcroe

Quote from: dennisspeaksThere were also two 78 Oldsmobiles Toro XS's that got some light mouse droppings
TBC

I want a 78 Toro, looks good, I can fix it.  Bruce Roe

J. Skelly

[/quote]

Dennis,

I've used Lexol Cleaner, then Lexol conditioner, on various cars with leather interiors since these products are made for that.  I don't know what to recommend for a vinyl top cleaner.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

dennisspeaks

Hi Bruce, I didn't get either of those two, I did hear the last one he had.  I have had it up for sale and I think is sold, he is supposed to be  Zelleing the money to me but you know how that goes.  I am on my way home I will send you a download of the video.

:)
Quote from: bcroe on January 25, 2022, 12:23:21 PM
I want a 78 Toro, looks good, I can fix it.  Bruce Roe
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442

dennisspeaks

Thanks.

Quote from: J. Skelly on January 25, 2022, 01:53:36 PM

Dennis,

I've used Lexol Cleaner, then Lexol conditioner, on various cars with leather interiors since these products are made for that.  I don't know what to recommend for a vinyl top cleaner.
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442

dennisspeaks

Well some of her sisters came out to greet and her welcome her to the fold.  This is the first time any of these cars have seen snow since 96 and earlier.  I don't think they like the cold because back in the garage they went!
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz